Prorogation official as GG grants PM Harper request
Parliament is officially prorogued, House of Commons Clerk Audrey O'Brien said in a memo distributed to MPs Friday morning.
Gov. Gen. David Johnston granted Prime Minister Stephen Harper's request for prorogation and allowed an Oct. 16 date for the throne speech. The speech will happen at 4:30 p.m. ET.
Harper said last month that he wanted to have Parliament prorogued before its original Sept. 16 return date. Prorogation allows governments to bring in fresh bills and usually happens mid-way through a prime minister's mandate.
Harper's announcement stoked controversy, however, because of the amount of time he wanted to prorogue Parliament. He could have brought the House and Senate back within days or even hours rather than taking an extra month, critics said.
MPs will lose 17 sitting days off the parliamentary calendar and have to spend a few days reconvening committees once they return.
More to come
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: object in water might be plane's door
- Ali Moustafa, Canadian journalist, killed in Syria
- Why Malaysia Airlines jet might have disappeared
- Lake Louise avalanche victims didn't have proper gear
- 'West is best' on job creation, economists agree
- Psychiatric community care: Belgian town sets gold standard
- Pierre Karl Péladeau to run for PQ in Saint-Jérôme
- Stephen Harper heads to South Korea to ink long-awaited free-trade pact
- Lev Tahor members back in Canada
- Avalanche near Lake Louise leaves 2 snowshoers dead
Nine members of ultra-orthodox Jewish sect are back in the country after being stopped in Trinidad and Tobago
Date 2 hrs ago, Duration 2:27, Views 94
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 19 hrs ago 3:32
Tooltip Information:Stolen passports may be on planeVideo by:Description: There is mystery surrounding the identity of two passengers on the Malaysia Airlines flight, who may have been travelling on stolen passportsRating: 3.25Views: 4266
Date 22 hrs ago 2:14
Tooltip Information:2 Canadians on board missing planeVideo by:Description: We are learning more about two Canadians who are among the missing on the Malaysian airlines flight, Aarti Pole reportsRating: 3.83Views: 5342