Putin hails Syria's action on chemical weapons ban
Russia's President Vladimir Putin says that Syria's move to join an international convention banning chemical weapons has proven its good faith.
Speaking at a summit of an international security grouping dominated by Russia and China, Putin said Friday the move showed that Syria has "serious intentions to embark on that path."
- The challenge of destroying Assad's chemical weapons
- Key facts, important players in Syria's civil war
Syria made a formal bid Thursday to join the Chemical Weapons Convention. The UN welcomed the move, but said that it could take 30 days for Syria to become a member.
Russia proposed on Monday that Syria surrenders control over its chemical weapons to the international community for its eventual dismantling to avoid a U.S. military strike, and Damascus quickly jumped at the offer. Top U.S. and Russian diplomats are holding talks in Geneva to discuss the plan's specifics.
- Clocks spring forward Sunday for daylight saving time
- Truckers reject Vancouver port deal: strike to begin Monday
- Birth of Justin Trudeau's son poses political opportunity
- Courtney Love libel suit shows landmark 1964 case relevant in digital age
- Nahlah Ayed: Military observers in Crimea face risky situation
- 3 Mohawk protesters could be charged after Ontario rail blockade
- Ottawa man caught driving 190 km/h has Jaguar impounded
- Unionized container truckers reject Vancouver port deal
- Former PM Brian Mulroney says Putin is no Gorbachev
- Social media privacy being taught at high school
About 200 people gathered in downtown Winnipeg Saturday to mark International Women's Day. CBC's Katie Nicholson reports.
Date 1 hr ago, Duration 1:48, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 6 hrs ago 2:14
Tooltip Information:2 Canadians on board missing planeVideo by:Description: We are learning more about two Canadians who are among the missing on the Malaysian airlines flight, Aarti Pole reportsRating: 3.8Views: 2932
Date 3 hrs ago 3:32
Tooltip Information:Stolen passports may be on planeVideo by:Description: There is mystery surrounding the identity of two passengers on the Malaysia Airlines flight, who may have been travelling on stolen passportsRating: 4Views: 304
Date 6 hrs ago 1:46
Tooltip Information:Search for missing plane continuesVideo by:Description: The search for a missing passenger jet with 239 people on board is still underway in the South China SeaRating: 4Views: 1146