Rail safety concerns voiced by Canadian mayors
A group concerned about rail safety in Canada is meeting in Montreal to outline its requests to the federal government, in light of the train derailment and explosions in Lac-Mégantic, Que., and the rail bridge collapse and derailment in Calgary, Alta.
Mayors from across the country have united under the Federation of Canadian Municipalities' (FCM) National Municipal Rail Safety Working Group.
They say they want to know more about the cargo being carried by the trains that travel through their municipalities.
This is the group's first official meeting.
The mayors were united by FCM president Claude Dauphin, who is also the mayor of the Lachine borough.
The federation is going to ask the federal government to tighten regulations governing railways, based on the conclusions of this working group.
- Gaza crisis: Violence continues despite Egyptian call for ceasefire
- Tina Fontaine’s family holds funeral for slain teen
- Iceland volcano: Bardarbunga eruption begins
- Lev Tahor, ultra-Orthodox Jewish sect, quietly moves to Guatemala
- Indian status: 5 things you need to know
- Saskatchewan considered separation, Roy Romanow reveals
- ISIS atrocities in Iraq: What's Canada's next move?
- Kevin Love trade: Andrew Wiggins rare No. 1 pick
- Wynne slams Harper over missing, murdered aboriginal women comments
- Russian aid convoy leaves Ukraine
Muhammad Robert Heft has counselled many young Canadians 'at risk' of being recruited by international militant groups such as ISIS
Date 1 hr ago, Duration 5:20, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 14-08-22 2:12
Tooltip Information:Hiker rescued days after fleeing bear in treeVideo by:Description: Julien Landry in stable condition in a Kelowna, B.C., hospital after concussion, injured and alone in the forest after a wild encounterRating: 3.18Views: 23711
Date 4 hrs ago 1:50
Tooltip Information:Lotus restaurant fined for food poisoningVideo by:Description: Ottawa Public Health fined a Barrhaven Chinese restaurant after 44 people got sick from food.Rating: 4Views: 608