Rail safety concerns voiced by Canadian mayors
A group concerned about rail safety in Canada is meeting in Montreal to outline its requests to the federal government, in light of the train derailment and explosions in Lac-Mégantic, Que., and the rail bridge collapse and derailment in Calgary, Alta.
Mayors from across the country have united under the Federation of Canadian Municipalities' (FCM) National Municipal Rail Safety Working Group.
They say they want to know more about the cargo being carried by the trains that travel through their municipalities.
This is the group's first official meeting.
The mayors were united by FCM president Claude Dauphin, who is also the mayor of the Lachine borough.
The federation is going to ask the federal government to tighten regulations governing railways, based on the conclusions of this working group.
- B.C. teachers' strike: No school year start Tuesday
- Joan Rivers: Family remains hopeful for star's recovery
- Louisiana’s new restrictive abortion law won't be enforced yet, judge rules
- ISIS threat: Germany to send rifles and tanks to aid Kurds in Iraq
- Health Canada pulling last of citronella-based bug sprays
- China rejects open nominations for Hong Kong leadership
- Israel calls on region to rebuild, disarm Gaza
- Bolivian bus crash kills 10, injures 1 Canadian
- NATO pushes for bigger crisis response brigade
- Senegal Ebola case 'a top priority emergency,' WHO says
Fears are mounting in Bangkok that poor planning and lax law enforcement are tipping Thailand towards a waste crisis. Duration: 01:21
Date 41 mins ago, Duration 1:20, Views 0
Video by: AFP
Date 4 hrs ago 2:14
Tooltip Information:Zaccheus Jackson, 36, dies in train accidentVideo by:Description: Community mourns much-loved and admired Vancouver poet and spoken word artistRating: 4Views: 12
Date 14-08-29 1:59
Tooltip Information:Topless toddler at swimming pool ends in scuffleVideo by:Description: Mother of 3-year-old girl says she was tripped by a lifeguard; complaints filed by and against mother.Rating: 3.18Views: 101846