Raptors hire Drake, will host 2016 all-star game
Rapper Drake appears at a news conference Monday, announcing the Raptors will host the 2016 NBA all-star game and hire Drake as a team ambassador. John Rieti/CBC
rapper Drake to join the team as a global ambassador.
“I want excitement for this team. I want them to be one of the biggest teams in this league," said Drake. “Everywhere I go I preach the gospel that is the city of Toronto, I love this city with all my heart.”
The all-star game is a week-long event that brings an estimated economic impact of $100 million to the host city. It will be the first NBA all-star game to be held outside the United States.
“This is remarkable for our basketball team," said general manager Masai Ujiri. "We have a responsibility to grow our basketball team so it meets the momentum of the all-star game. This is awesome for the fans and awesome for the city.”
The Raptors also announced they plan to re-brand the team with new colours and branding, though not a new name.
“Thank you for being patient with us," said Tim Leiweke, CEO of Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment, which owns the Raptors. "Good days are coming.”
- Amanda Todd case: RCMP announce 5 charges against Dutch citizen
- Matthew de Grood's father: 'Just like you, we struggle to understand what happened'
- South Korea ferry: The 'daunting task' of rescuing survivors
- Rob Ford launches re-election bid: 'I won't back down'
- South Korea ferry captain may have delayed evacuation
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Nobel-winning author, dead at 87
- Mount Everest avalanche may have buried 5 climbers
- Vote on Kate's dresses from royal tour of Australia, New Zealand
- Portland empties 144 million-litre water reservoir after teen pees in it
- Canada to send 6 CF-18s for NATO operation in Eastern Europe
A look back at the Colombian-born Nobel laureate's life
Date 2 hrs ago, Duration 2:25, Views 1
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 17 hrs ago 1:25
Tooltip Information:McDonald's foreign workers call it 'slavery'Video by:Description: Belizian temporary workers docked more pay for rent in corporate apartment than the cost incurred by McDonald'sRating: 3.75Views: 20392
Date 14-04-17 2:06
Tooltip Information:Student arrested in Heartbleed-related theftVideo by:Description: RCMP have arrested a 19-year-old London, Ont., man in connection with the theft of 900 social insurance numbersRating: 3.6Views: 11922