RCMP allege former senator Mac Harb committed fraud
Sean Kilpatrick/Canadian Press
The RCMP believe former senator Mac Harb committed fraud by filing inappropriate expense claims, according to documents filed in court Wednesday.
The allegation is contained in an affidavit sworn to have a justice of the peace sign a production order.
The RCMP is requesting statements of accounts and deposit transactions from two of Harb's bank accounts. Police want documentation on the two accounts, including names, dates of birth, address history, account status and account opening and closing history.
The documents show that Harb's lawyer is considering letting the RCMP interview the retired senator but would like to see witness statements before making a final decision.
Harb, a Liberal, was ordered to repay more than $230,000. He retired in August after paying the money back.
The latest allegation follows an earlier one from the RCMP that Harb committed breach of trust by filing inappropriate expense claims to the Senate.
- After the Scotland referendum: What happens next
- Luka Magnotta trial's full jury selected
- Hurricane Odile: WestJet offers final evacuation flight to Calgary
- Why chimps kill other chimps — U.S. study uncovers main reason
- Netflix tells CRTC consumers should vote with their dollars
- NDP forces Commons debate on murdered, missing indigenous women
- Don Frigo shooting death: Canada-wide warrant issued for Boris Panovski
- Canadian home ownership more costly than thought, BMO report says
- Apple's iPhone 6 selling out early in Canada
- Scotland referendum: Alex Salmond to quit as leader of Scottish National Party
Xavier Dolan's Mommy is Canada's entry for best foreign-language film
Date 1 hr ago, Duration 3:05, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 14-09-16 2:46
Tooltip Information:Elders watched helplessly while woman beaten to deathVideo by:Description:Rating: 3.55Views: 52630
Date 14-09-17 2:02
Tooltip Information:33-year-old's mysterious disappearanceVideo by:Description: Family members of Crystal Ratvay made a special plea for information to help them find the Abbotsford womanRating: 2.62Views: 33460
Date 21 hrs ago 1:16
Tooltip Information:Cat escapes from collapsing wreckage of Dauphin hotel (Video by David Katcsma)Video by:Description: David Katcsma of Dauphin, Man., captured this video of a cat running out of the Towers Hotel as the burning building collapsed to the groundRating: 4.42Views: 4249