Toronto Mayor Rob Ford has addressed a video the Star has published on its website today. Chris Young/Canadian Press
A newly released video shows Rob Ford yelling wildly, swearing profusely and acting erratically — the latest controversy involving the Toronto mayor after he admitted earlier this week that he had smoked crack cocaine in the past year.
Both the Toronto Star and the Toronto Sun published videos on their respective websites on Thursday, which appeared to have overlapping portions of an unexplained occasion in which the mayor was recorded. CBC News has posted below the video that the Star posted on YouTube.
Warning: The video below,posted online by the Star, contains language that some viewers may find offensive.
Mobile users can watch the same video by clicking here.
The context of the video is unknown and the target of Ford's rants is unknown.
Shortly after 12:30 p.m. ET, Ford stepped out of his office at city hall and addressed the video that first appeared on the Star's website.
“Obviously, I was extremely, extremely inebriated,” Ford said, expressing that it was "embarrassing." The mayor also made reference to having made some "mistakes."
He did not clarify any details of the video published by the Star. Ford did not mention the video the Sun published.
A source who has spoken to the mayor told the CBC’s Jamie Strashin that the video was likely recorded in February or March this year.
Coun. James Pasternak commented on the video about an hour after it was posted.
"It's very disturbing, very upsetting," he said. "It's conduct unbecoming a chief magistrate. The behaviour in the video, the language, is profoundly disappointing, profoundly disturbing."
Deputy Mayor Norm Kelly said he wants to know more about the video, which he said lacks context, before commenting about it.
"I don't know who he's talking about," said Kelly. "I don't know the context. People act differently in private than they do in public. He's obviously agitated. I don't know why."
The Star says it purchased the video, but the newspaper did not identify where it was obtained from.
The Sun says that it did not purchase the video posted on its website.
Mayor under scrutiny for months
The newly published video came out just two days after Ford admitted to having smoked crack cocaine and four days after he acknowledged making "mistakes," some of which were alcohol-related.
Ford had been under intense scrutiny for months after reports emerged that someone had been shopping a video — not related to the one posted Thursday — that appeared to show the mayor smoking a crack pipe.
The mayor long denied the alleged crack video’s existence, though police recently said they had obtained a video file that was consistent with what the media had reported. Ford has since called for that video to be released.
He is now under increasing pressure from fellow council members to take a leave of absence, though Ford has so far said he intends to carry on at city hall.
At least one councillor was calling for his outright resignation on Thursday:
Coun. John Parker said the video was just the latest in a series of distractions for the mayor.
"It’s just one story after another, but the pattern is well-established," Parker said Thursday.
But he said that the work at city hall continues no matter what is going on with the mayor.
Ford has served as the mayor of Toronto for the past three years. He has constantly made headlines during his tenure both for his work at city hall and his life outside of it.
Everything from his personal driving habits to the amount of time he has devoted to coaching high school football has been covered closely by the media.
Last year, Ford faced a conflict-of-interest challenge that resulted in a judge ordering him removed from office. But that ruling was overturned on appeal and the mayor held onto his job.
Ford also faced a defamation lawsuit that was dismissed in court.
Before he was elected mayor, Ford served as a city councillor for a ward in the Toronto suburb of Etobicoke.
Palestinians gather around the rubble of a building destroyed following an Israeli military strike in Rafah on Thursday. Three top Hamas commanders wer... More Palestinians gather around the rubble of a building destroyed following an Israeli military strike in Rafah on Thursday. Three top Hamas commanders were also killed, inflicting a heavy blow on the movement's armed wing. Duration: 01:28
Date 1 min ago, Duration 1:28, Views 0