Toronto Mayor Rob Ford, left, has described his friend and occasional driver Alessandro (Sandro) Lisi as a "good guy." CBC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford appears in a video recovered by police during the Project Traveller investigation, police Chief Bill Blair said today after Ford's friend and occasional driver was arrested on extortion charges.
Blair said a video seized during an investigation contains images of Ford that are "consistent with that which had previously been described in various media reports," an apparent reference to an alleged video that shows Ford smoking crack cocaine.
“We have recovered a digital video file, which is consistent with that which had previously been described in various media reports, and that file forms part of the evidence of the charge that we have laid today,” Blair said.
"I think it’s fair to say that the mayor does appear in that video, but I’m not going to get into the detail of what activity is depicted on that video," said Blair.
Blair made the shocking revelation Thursday, one day after documents were made public that police used to obtain search warrants for Alexander Lisi, who is now facing extortion charges.
Lisi is also known as Alessandro or Sandro.
The 300-page document released Thursday details evidence police collected in order to get a search warrant for Lisi.
The document runs 474 pages, with long redactions.
It includes police notes with surveillance of Lisi's contact with Ford.
Earlier Thursday, prior to the release of the documents, Ford got into an angry shouting match with reporters in the driveway of his home.
Read the documents by clicking on the link below.
The photos in the documents show Ford and Lisi meeting on several occasions and exchanging more than one package.
The documents begin with information from media stories on U.S. website Gawker and the Toronto Star about the alleged video, which appears to show Ford smoking crack cocaine. It also includes a now-famous photo of Ford standing in the driveway of a north Toronto home along with four young men.
Thousands of students in Hong Kong have converged on a university campus to begin a week-long boycott of classes.
Date 47 mins ago, Duration 1:33, Views 0