Roy Halladay to retire after signing with Jays: reports
One-time Blue Jays ace pitcher Roy Halladay is planning to retire after signing a one-day contract with the team. The free agent pitched the last four seasons with the Philadelphia Phillies and won 203 games in his career. Morry Gash-Pool/Getty Images
Former Toronto ace pitcher Roy Halladay reportedly will sign a one-day contract with the team so he can retire a Blue Jay.
The Blue Jays are scheduled to make an announcement at 12:30 p.m. Monday from baseball's winter meetings in Florida.
Halladay, who is a free agent, has endured many injuries in recent seasons.
In 2013, he was hampered by shoulder problems and had a 6.82 earned-run average in 13 starts for the Phillies. Halladay's fastball also averaged only 88 miles per hour.
The 36-year-old right-hander won 203 games with a 3.38 earned-run average between the Blue Jays and Philadelphia Phillies, who acquired him in a trade in December 2009.
More to come
- Blue Jays-Indians Preview
- Blue Jays' offence heats up as injuries mount
- Janssen's return to Jays unclear; Reyes due soon
- Blue Jays place closer Casey Janssen on 15-day DL
- Blue Jays face Masahiro Tanaka, Yankees in home opener
- Hutchison, McGowan win spots in Blue Jays rotation
- Toronto closer Casey Janssen's return unclear because of lingering back problems
- Marcus Walden claimed by Athletics off waivers from Blue Jays
- Neil Wagner recalled from triple-A Buffalo by Blue Jays
- Wintry weather postpones Jays-Twins; twinbill set
Sharks too strong for Kings in Game 1.
Date 1 hr ago, Duration 1:26, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 18 hrs ago 1:25
Tooltip Information:McDonald's foreign workers call it 'slavery'Video by:Description: Belizian temporary workers docked more pay for rent in corporate apartment than the cost incurred by McDonald'sRating: 3.75Views: 20678
Date 14-04-17 2:06
Tooltip Information:Student arrested in Heartbleed-related theftVideo by:Description: RCMP have arrested a 19-year-old London, Ont., man in connection with the theft of 900 social insurance numbersRating: 3.6Views: 12134