Russia: UN uninviting Iran a mistake, not catastrophe
AP Photo/Ivan Sekretarev
Russia's Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov speaks to his Norwegian counterpart Borge Brende during their meeting in Moscow, Russia, on Monday, Jan. 20, 2014. (AP Photo/Ivan Sekretarev) Ivan Sekretarev/The Associated Press
Russia's foreign minister says that the United Nation decision to rescind the invitation to Iran to join this week's Syria peace talks was a mistake but not a catastrophe.
Sergey Lavrov said Tuesday that United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon's decision to withdraw his last-minute offer to Iran to attend the conference would have a negative impact on the United Nations image.
Lavrov, speaking at a news conference, reaffirmed Russia's argument that the presence of Iran was essential for the success of the conference that is set to begin Wednesday in the Swiss resort of Montreux.
Iran has been the main regional ally of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, supporting his regime with advisers, money and materiel since the uprising began in 2011.
- Kerry: US open to talks with Iran on Islamic State
- Russia warns against Ukraine joining NATO ahead of summit
- UN withdraws many peacekeepers from Golan Heights
- UN's Iran nuclear probe stalls again
- Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, Iran's supreme leader, hospitalized
- Iran's supreme leader undergoes prostate surgery
- Fijan UN peacekeepers, captured in Golan Heights, released in Syria
- Fijian UN peacekeepers, captured in Golan Heights, released in Syria
- Syrian militants hold 43 UN Golan Heights peacekeepers
- UN: 45 Fijian peacekeepers freed in Syria
Enterovirus D-68 has sent hundreds of children to hospital in the U-S. Now it’s in parts of Canada.
Date 44 mins ago, Duration 3:06, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 19 hrs ago 2:46
Tooltip Information:Elders watched helplessly while woman beaten to deathVideo by:Description:Rating: 3.5Views: 5423
Date 9 hrs ago 3:26
Tooltip Information:Andrew Allan meets birth mother Marion CoombsVideo by:Description: Andrew Allan tracked down Marion Coombs who was told he was dead after he was born and she had wanted to put him up for adoptionRating: 3.33Views: 3009