cbc.ca (© Copyright: (C) Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, http://www.cbc.ca/aboutcbc/discover/termsofuse.html#Rss)
Updated: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 08:06:19 GMT | By CBC News, cbc.ca

Sammy Yatim's family cancels news conference



Sammy Yatim's family cancels news conference

The family of Sammy Yatim, the 18-year-old Toronto man fatally shot aboard a streetcar in an altercation with police last month, has cancelled a news conference that had been scheduled for this afternoon.

- Storify: Sammy Yatim murder charge sparks strong reaction among Canadians.

- 7 unanswered questions about the Toronto streetcar shooting.

- Streetcar shooting protest march draws hundreds.

In a statement to the media issued late Tuesday, Sammy Yatim`s family said they "do not have the energy right now to comment" and that they are "trying to heal and regain some sense of normalcy."

Earlier Tuesday, Const. James Forcillo was charged with second-degree murder in Yatim's death, then released on $510,000 bail.

Forcillo, 30, appeared in court after surrendering to authorities on an arrest warrant that was issued on Monday after Ontario's Special Investigations Unit pressed charges.

Yatim's family said they were relieved by the charge, but hope the SIU will look into the actions of the supervising officers and other officers who were on scene.

Yatim was shot multiple times and Tasered on an empty streetcar on July 27. It was captured on surveillance and cellphone video on which nine shots can be heard following shouts for him to drop a knife.

With files from The Canadian Press

more video