High-risk sex offender Michael Stanley, registered as a sex offender in Seattle, Washington, is being held on $100,000 bail after he was arrested on a misdemeanor charge of harassment Tuesday. KIRO TV
Violent sex offender Michael Stanley is being held on $100,000 bail after being arrested in west Seattle on a misdemeanour charge of harassment, but suspected in the sexual assault of a 16-year-old boy.
Wearing a red jail uniform with his hands shackled in front of him, Michael Sean Stanley made a first appearance by video feed from the King County Jail.
Seattle Municipal Court Judge Karen Donohue set his bail at $100,000. The normal bail on the misdemeanour is $1,000.
He was also ordered to abstain from alcohol and non-prescription drugs and to have no contact with the complainant.
Nic Gross, the public defender appearing for Stanley, sought his release and suggested that Stanley could be required to check in daily.
Gross said that Stanley has an uncle and a cousin in the area who could get him work as a labourer. But Donohue questioned those family links and said the circumstances of his flight from Canada raised concerns about whether he would show up for future court hearings.
"The court does have concerns with the lack of ties Mr. Stanley has to Seattle," Donohue said.
The harassment charge followed an incident Tuesday morning in which police say Stanley threatened someone who asked him to be quiet after he was growling and meowing in an alley.
According to a police report, the arresting officer found a lock-blade knife, a screwdriver, pliers and a flashlight inside Stanley's jacket.
Authorities are still working to re-book Stanley on more serious charges, saying he is being investigated for assaulting a 16-year-old boy.
Authorities say Stanley met the boy at a west Seattle grocery store, struck up a conversation and walked with him to an alley where he plied the teen with alcohol and attacked him. The boy pulled a knife and was able to escape, police said.
Stanley had registered as a sex offender with the King County sheriff's office and listed his address as an intersection just a block away from Seattle's Pike Place Market, a scenic destination for both tourists and locals. It's also near a preschool, even though he had been ordered to stay away from children in Canada.
Detectives believe the attack on the teen happened before police received several calls reporting noise in an alley and Stanley threatening someone who asked him to be quiet. When police arrived, Stanley became combative and said he had a knife.
He appeared intoxicated, according to authorities. He was arrested and jailed for investigation of harassment.
Long history of sex offences
Stanley most recently served a 32-month prison term after what parole documents describe as a case in which he lured two mentally challenged boys into an apartment, lit a crack pipe and blew smoke in their faces and then sexually assaulted them.
Parole documents also describe another case in which Stanley broke into an elderly woman's apartment while she was sleeping and sexually assaulted her.
He was being monitored by police under a peace bond, which Canadian authorities can get to impose conditions on individuals in the community. Stanley's peace bond has 20 conditions, including one ordering him to stay away from children.
Police in Canada issued a public alert earlier this month after Stanley cut off his electronic-monitoring bracelet. Officials described him as an untreated, violent offender who posed a significant risk.
An American citizen, Stanley crossed the border and was located in the Seattle area last week. Canadian officials decided not to seek extradition.
Before Tuesday, there was no reason to arrest Stanley since Canada hadn't pursued an extraditable warrant and he wasn't wanted for any crimes in the United States, authorities said.
Stanley, who lived in Edmonton, removed his electronic-monitoring anklet earlier this month.
While police searched for him, unconfirmed sightings of Stanley led schools in several west-central Saskatchewan communities to lock their doors and keep children inside.
US authorities say Omar Gonzalez, who broke into the White House on Friday evening, had 800 rounds of ammunition, a machete and two hatchets in his car.
Date 3 hrs ago, Duration 2:16, Views 7