Sicily migrant ship leaves at least 27 dead
Malta's prime minister says 27 people are confirmed dead in the capsizing of a migrant ship off the Sicilian island of Lampedusa.
Joseph Muscat told a news conference late Friday in the Maltese capital Valletta that more than 200 people have been rescued and that the search is continuing. He said at least three of the 27 dead are children.
The capsizing occurred some 105 kilometers southeast of Lampedusa, but in waters where Malta has search and rescue responsibilities.
Last week, a migrant boat carrying some 500 Eritreans capsized off Lampedusa, killing at least 339. Only 155 people survived.
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 not tracked to Malacca: air force
- Olivia Chow to resign as MP, launch Toronto mayoral bid
- Avalanche in B.C.'s Kootenay region kills male snowmobiler
- RCMP costs soared after Greenpeace Parliament protest
- Pauline Marois says independent Quebec would have no borders or tolls
- Canadian soldiers in Afghanistan: a video timeline
- 10 myths about taxes that mislead Canadians
- UFO sightings soar to new heights in Canada
- Climate likely fuelled Genghis Khan's conquests
- Alberta legislature too disrespectful for school visits
Canadian short-track speed skating star is the guest on on George Stroumboulopoulos Tonight.
Date 2 hrs ago, Duration 7:58, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 10 hrs ago 3:11
Tooltip Information:Barack Obama spars with Zach Galifianakis over health careVideo by:Description: U.S. president gets the 'Between Two Ferns' treatmentRating: 3Views: 992438
Date 14-03-10 2:32
Tooltip Information:Stigma of mental illness a 'disturbing' trend in workplaceVideo by:Description: A pair of Winnipeggers are sounding the alarm over how people with mental illness are treated in the workplace. CBC's Nelly Gonzalez reports in the first part of this five-part series.Rating: 4.12Views: 320133
Date 11 hrs ago 4:05
Tooltip Information:'Fooling Malaysian authorities not a steep hill to climb'Video by:Description: CBC interview with former RCMP investigator and crime and risk consultant Chris MathersRating: 3.7Views: 306051
Date 22 hrs ago 1:02
Tooltip Information:NBA: Toronto 97 at Brooklyn 101Video by:Description: Deron Williams and Shaun Livingston each scored 18 points and an ailing Pierce hit a key late 3-pointer to lead the Brooklyn Nets to a 101-97 victory over the Atlantic Division-leading Toronto Raptors.Rating: 2.5Views: 908588