Sicily migrant ship leaves at least 27 dead
Malta's prime minister says 27 people are confirmed dead in the capsizing of a migrant ship off the Sicilian island of Lampedusa.
Joseph Muscat told a news conference late Friday in the Maltese capital Valletta that more than 200 people have been rescued and that the search is continuing. He said at least three of the 27 dead are children.
The capsizing occurred some 105 kilometers southeast of Lampedusa, but in waters where Malta has search and rescue responsibilities.
Last week, a migrant boat carrying some 500 Eritreans capsized off Lampedusa, killing at least 339. Only 155 people survived.
- Air Canada to consider firing workers in baggage toss video
- Calgary stabbings: victims' families come together to heal
- Rehtaeh Parsons suspect accused of threatening girl's father
- Ukraine crisis: At barricades, insurgents await Easter
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Woman dies after dad hits her trying to park near Ottawa hospital
- Aggressive raccoon attacks puppy in Vancouver's West End
- Dog thief caught on camera at Vancouver tattoo parlour
- MERS virus outbreak raising SARS-like concern
- Mount Everest avalanche highlights risk Sherpas face
Blues win in OT as Blackhawks buckle.
Date 2 hrs ago, Duration 1:45, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 7 hrs ago 3:17
Tooltip Information:Luggage toss caught on videoVideo by:Description: Dwayne Stewart was sitting on an Air Canada plane when he noticed a baggage handler dropping luggage at least 3 metres into a bin belowRating: 4Views: 2085
Date 14-04-16 0:50
Tooltip Information:Calgary stabbings: What happenedVideo by:Description: Early Tuesday morning five people were stabbed to death at a house party hosted by university students. Here's what we know so far about what happenedRating: 3.25Views: 5043
Date 7 hrs ago 1:40
Tooltip Information:MH370 underwater search could end within weekVideo by:Description: Malaysia's acting transport minister says search for missing airliner has entered a crucial phase, Andrew Lee reportsRating: 4Views: 1763