Sicily migrant ship sinking leaves at least 27 dead
Malta's prime minister says 27 people are confirmed dead in the capsizing of a migrant ship off the Sicilian island of Lampedusa.
Joseph Muscat told a news conference late Friday in the Maltese capital Valletta that more than 200 people have been rescued and that the search is continuing. He said at least three of the 27 dead are children.
The capsizing occurred some 105 kilometers southeast of Lampedusa, but in waters where Malta has search and rescue responsibilities.
Last week, a migrant boat carrying some 500 Eritreans capsized off Lampedusa, killing at least 339. Only 155 people survived.
- NATO leaders' focus could be split between ISIS and Russia
- Nude celebrity photo leak casts iCloud over Apple launch
- Polar bears: Threatened species or political pawn?
- Steven Sotloff beheading shown in video, ISIS claims
- Donovan Adams arrested in sex attack on 9-year-old Surrey girl
- Justin Bieber faces assault, dangerous driving charges in Ontario
- Polar vortex chills linked to melting sea ice
- Fred Brumwell wanted a Google job so badly, he rented a billboard
- Omar Khadr reattempts to sue Canada for $20M
- Polar bears: Endangered species or political pawn?
Germany and Argentina prepare for their friendly game, 50 days after they met in the World Cup final in Brazil. Duration: 01:00
Date 43 mins ago, Duration 0:59, Views 0
Video by: AFP
Date 2 hrs ago 2:25
Tooltip Information:Journalist executed by ISIS: reportsVideo by:Description: ISIS has released a video showing what appears to be the beheading of U.S. journalist Steven SotloffRating: 4Views: 498