Snowbirds cancel U.S. air shows amid budget cuts
The Canadian Forces Snowbirds, shown flying past the Peace Tower on Parliament Hill, have scrapped their U.S. shows due to budget cuts. Frank Gunn/Canadian Press
Canada's famed Snowbirds aerobatic flying team has been forced to cancel all shows in the United States because of budget cuts.
Snowbirds spokesman Capt. Thomas Edelson says the number of flying hours were cut for the squadron based in Moose Jaw, Sask., so the four U.S. shows were cancelled.
Edelson says the team enjoys going south of the border, but Canadian audiences have to be the priority.
Herb Gillen, a spokesman for the Oregon International Air Show, says organizers got a call from the Snowbirds about 10 days ago to cancel a September show.
Gillen says removing the Snowbirds from the lineup is a pretty big blow for the Oregon show.
He says organizers are regrouping and trying to figure out what the viability of the show is if it doesn't have a jet demonstration team.
- Ottawa blocks Canadian from getting Syrian husband out of danger
- West Island man fined $162 after stopping police for illegal turn
- Integrated-prom pioneer needs funds to visit Museum for Human Rights
- B.C. teachers' strike: Public school students back in class today
- Don Frigo shooting: Boris Panovski arrested, charged with murder
- Qatar will not host 2022 World Cup: FIFA official
- Global CO2 emissions break record ahead of UN Climate Summit
- Accused in high-profile child porn case pleads guilty
- Downsizing: When hitting the road hurts like hell
- Justin Trudeau's abortion policy keeps people talking
Heavy rains Monday morning caused flooding in southern parts of Charlottetown.
Date 55 mins ago, Duration 1:34, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 3 hrs ago 1:44
Tooltip Information:Ottawa blocks Canadian from getting husband out of SyriaVideo by:Description: Woman from Calgary forced to choose: Leave him there or risk her life and stayRating: 4Views: 197
Date 20 hrs ago 1:33
Tooltip Information:Scotland minister says voters were 'misled and tricked'Video by:Description: Alex Salmond, Scotland's first minister, weighed in on the issue just days after the Yes side was defeatedRating: 5Views: 1204
Date 14-09-16 2:46
Tooltip Information:Elders watched helplessly while woman beaten to deathVideo by:Description:Rating: 3.72Views: 96584