Snowbirds cancel U.S. air shows amid budget cuts
The Canadian Forces Snowbirds, shown flying past the Peace Tower on Parliament Hill, have scrapped their U.S. shows due to budget cuts. Frank Gunn/Canadian Press
Canada's famed Snowbirds aerobatic flying team has been forced to cancel all shows in the United States because of budget cuts.
Snowbirds spokesman Capt. Thomas Edelson says the number of flying hours were cut for the squadron based in Moose Jaw, Sask., so the four U.S. shows were cancelled.
Edelson says the team enjoys going south of the border, but Canadian audiences have to be the priority.
Herb Gillen, a spokesman for the Oregon International Air Show, says organizers got a call from the Snowbirds about 10 days ago to cancel a September show.
Gillen says removing the Snowbirds from the lineup is a pretty big blow for the Oregon show.
He says organizers are regrouping and trying to figure out what the viability of the show is if it doesn't have a jet demonstration team.
- Rare formation of 16 planes soar above 15 Wing Moose Jaw
- Rare formation of 16 planes soars above 15 Wing Moose Jaw
- Rare 20-plane formation soars at 15 Wing Moose Jaw
- 20 planes soar above 15 Wing Moose Jaw
- Rare 20-plane formation set for skies above 15 Wing Moose Jaw
- Pilot, plane OK after CF-18 hit by lightning
- MSI coverage extended for Nova Scotia snowbirds
- Investigators probe train derailment west of Moose Jaw
- 24 rail cars go off tracks near Moose Jaw
Canadian swimmer Audrey Lacroix win the 200M Butterfly at the 2014 Commonwealth Games.
Date 1 hr ago, Duration 4:32, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 10 hrs ago 5:04
Tooltip Information:Damian Warner shatters men's decathlon 100m recordVideo by:Description: The Canadian impresses with a record time in Glasgow.Rating: 3.66Views: 2299
Date 4 hrs ago 0:41
Tooltip Information:The fastest Rubik's Cube solver you've ever seenVideo by:Description: Antoine Cantin is the world record holder for Rubik's Cube solving at 12.56 seconds.Rating: 2.5Views: 352