St. John's floods as rain falls and temperatures soar
St. John's streets flooded on Tuesday after heavy rain and high temparatures melted a heavy snow cover Tood O'Brien/CBC
St. John's and surrounding areas are dealing with flooding today, following heavy rain and temperatures as high as 9 C.
"Once this freezes over, it's going to be treacherous," said CBC reporter Todd O'Brien as he surveyed water-filled roads in St. John's.
Temperatures are expected to plunge below freezing on Tuesday evening.
Tuesday's rain comes after days of frigid temperatures and heavy snowfalls, which plugged many drainage areas that would normally accommodate excess water.
- China floods kill at least 19, with thousands forced from homes
- Niverville drying out after torrential rainfall Friday
- Pakistan, India flooding kills more than 200
- City flood prevention program could cost $2.4B over 100 years
- Flooding washes away parts of major Nevada freeway
- Nepal, India flood death toll reaches 180
- Flood watch issued for southwest Assiniboine River amid heavy rain
- Southern Sask. gets some snow, frost possible tonight
- Flooded: Phoenix Shatters All-Time Rain Record
- Nepal flood death toll reaches 101
Dozens of Iraqi Christians found shelter in a church in the suburbs of Arbil, fleeing the jihadist offensive by the Islamic State organization. Duratio... More Dozens of Iraqi Christians found shelter in a church in the suburbs of Arbil, fleeing the jihadist offensive by the Islamic State organization. Duration: 00:56
Date 3 mins ago, Duration 0:56, Views 0
Video by: AFP
Date 20 hrs ago 2:46
Tooltip Information:Elders watched helplessly while woman beaten to deathVideo by:Description:Rating: 3.33Views: 7143
Date 6 hrs ago 3:26
Tooltip Information:Andrew Allan meets birth mother Marion CoombsVideo by:Description: Andrew Allan tracked down Marion Coombs who was told he was dead after he was born and she had wanted to put him up for adoptionRating: 5Views: 1147