St. John's floods as rain falls and temperatures soar
St. John's streets flooded on Tuesday after heavy rain and high temparatures melted a heavy snow cover Tood O'Brien/CBC
St. John's and surrounding areas are dealing with flooding today, following heavy rain and temperatures as high as 9 C.
"Once this freezes over, it's going to be treacherous," said CBC reporter Todd O'Brien as he surveyed water-filled roads in St. John's.
Temperatures are expected to plunge below freezing on Tuesday evening.
Tuesday's rain comes after days of frigid temperatures and heavy snowfalls, which plugged many drainage areas that would normally accommodate excess water.
- Blood Tribe members want to move as flood cleanup continues
- Kamloops cleans up from flash flooding
- Should the DVP be raised to combat flooding?
- City of Regina works its way through 500 flood calls
- Manitoba flood: Rain, flood waters shut down oil industry
- Contractors scramble to answer repair calls post-flooding
- Nearly 300 Manitobans apply for flood disaster assistance
- Manitoba flooding: Assiniboine River to crest in Brandon at midnight
- Manitoba flooding: Assiniboine River to crest in Brandon
- Stephen Harper tours flood-threatened areas of Manitoba
Taiwan gas blasts in Kaohsiung kill at least 24
Date 19 mins ago, Duration 1:19, Views 0
Date 15 hrs ago 2:26
Tooltip Information:George Kobaladze wins weightlifting gold for CanadaVideo by:Description: On his final clean and jerk attempt, Kobaladze sets a Commonwealth record by lifting 229 kg, for a combined total of 400 kg.Rating: 5Views: 1431
Date 5 hrs ago 0:53
Tooltip Information:Nolan Reimold blasts 2 home runs as Jays win 6th straightVideo by:Description: Blue Jays beat Astros 6-5.Rating: 4Views: 19