cbc.ca (© Copyright: (C) Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, http://www.cbc.ca/aboutcbc/discover/termsofuse.html#Rss)
Updated: Tue, 07 Jan 2014 17:31:58 GMT | By CBC News, cbc.ca

Standoff near Edmonton ends with arrests after 2 Mounties hurt

RCMP seal off access to a rural home east of Edmonton Tuesday at noon after an early morning standoff that left two officers and one suspect wounded. Trevor Wilson/CBC

RCMP seal off access to a rural home east of Edmonton Tuesday at noon after an early morning standoff that left two officers and one suspect wounded. Trevor Wilson/CBC

The suspect in a rural standoff that injured two RCMP officers near Tofield, Alta., will face attempted murder charges. 

The man was taken into custody after the incident that ended early Tuesday morning after a standoff that lasted more than eight hours.  

"They took him directly from the scene by ambulance into Edmonton. I believe that he also has gunshot wounds or injuries," said Chief Supt. Randy McGinnis on Tuesday. Once the man is stable, he will be formally charged. His name won't be released until then,

One officer was run over by a truck. He went into surgery this morning for what was expected to be a four-hour operation, McGinnis said. He was taken to hospital in serious condition with several broken bones and internal injuries. 

Another Mountie who was grazed in the shoulder by gunfire was treated at hospital and released.

The incident took place at a home owned by a man and a woman who were associates of the main suspect. The man was located in a shed 30 minutes after the suspect was arrested. The woman was also arrested but McGinnis said both were released and won't face charges relating to this incident. 

The man whose house was the scene of the standoff had lived in the rural home east of Edmonton for about 30 years, say neighbours.

"He's my neighbour," said Ron Janiten, who lives next to the property. "He's not a bad guy. I think it's the company he keeps."

"One man tried to flee the area in a truck, and that’s when he ran over an officer," the CBC's Briar Stewart reported from the scene. "And shortly after that, the gunfire broke out and one officer was hit in the arm."

The incident is now being investigated by the Alberta Serious Incident Response Team (ASIRT) which investigates all police actions that cause injury or death. 

Eight ASIRT investigators are now at the scene, executive director Clifton Purvis said. 

Officers called to home

The incident began Monday.

RCMP were first called to a home at Township Road 522 and Range Road 192, east of Elk Island National Park and north of Tofield, at about 2 p.m. MT. A man had allegedly threatened to go to another residence inMundare and kill someone.

While officers were trying to track him down, they received a call about a break-in at a farmhouse. The farmer reported encountering a man matching their suspect’s description inside the house, said Chief Supt. Randy McGinnis.

The man left with three of the farmer’s long-barrelled firearms and a handgun.

Five RCMP officers went looking for the man at a house owned by one of his associates.

“Unfortunately he was at the residence when we got there and this incident unfolded,” McGinnis said.

The man and the homeowner jumped into a stolen truck, running over one of the officers.

Firefight ensued

"As the gentleman tried to exit the scene, he drove into the ditch and became stuck," McGinnis said.

"Then a firefight ensued between this gentleman and our members. I can't tell you how many rounds were exchanged but I do know that this gentleman was armed with a shotgun, a .22 and 410, as well as a handgun of an unknown calibre."

One of the two men in the truck was wounded.

"I do know that the suspect has been on our radar for numerous break-and-enters and thefts in the rural area for the last month or so," McGinnis said.

Janiten said his neighbour, who's about 50 years old, has been in trouble with police before.

Both he and his neighbour moved into the area more than 30 years ago.

"He had a divorce here a few years back," Janiten said. "He's by himself."

In a news release, Alberta Justice Minister Jonathan Denis expressed his gratitude to the officers involved in the shooting.

"My thoughts and prayers are with the two injured officers and their families, and I wish them both full recoveries from their injuries," he said.

more video