Swiss vote on proposal to limit top managers' pay
business executives file photo, iStock iStock
Voters in prosperous Switzerland are delivering their verdict on a proposal to limit the pay of companies' highest-paid managers to at most 12 times that of their lowest-paid workers.
Sunday's referendum comes after voters in March voiced anger at perceived corporate greed by voting to boost shareholders' say on executive pay and ban one-off bonuses known as "golden hellos" and "goodbyes."
The young socialist backers of the new "1:12 initiative" say that imposing a legal limit on salaries would ensure fairer pay.
But their proposal is opposed by Swiss business, which argues that it would weaken the nation's competitiveness. Opponents include Sepp Blatter, the Swiss president of world soccer's governing body FIFA, who argues that it would have the side-effect of seriously damaging Swiss soccer.
- FIFA orders officials to return expensive watches
- Blatter confirms bid to stand for 5th FIFA term
- Sepp Blatter running for 5th term as FIFA president
- Platini criticizes FIFA over luxury watch probe
- Michel Platini won't run against Sepp Blatter
- IOC: No clash between 2022 World Cup and Olympics
- Michael Garcia sends World Cup report to FIFA
- Michel Platini won't challenge Sepp Blatter for FIFA presidency
- FIFA receives evidence in corruption probe of Qatar bid
- 2022 Qatar World Cup could be held in January, November
More than 6,000,000 people are spending a second day under curfew as the country struggles to halt the spread of the deadly Ebola virus.
Date 2 hrs ago, Duration 2:23, Views 4
Date 14-09-16 2:46
Tooltip Information:Elders watched helplessly while woman beaten to deathVideo by:Description:Rating: 3.66Views: 75253
Date 14-09-18 1:16
Tooltip Information:Cat escapes from collapsing wreckage of Dauphin hotel (Video by David Katcsma)Video by:Description: David Katcsma of Dauphin, Man., captured this video of a cat running out of the Towers Hotel as the burning building collapsed to the groundRating: 4.21Views: 8680
Date 14-09-18 2:20
Tooltip Information:Homeowner seeks repayment for construction damagesVideo by:Description: Bill Shotyk says the company working on a home next door to his is refusing for pay for damage to his property.Rating: 1Views: 923