Syria death toll surpasses 100,000
Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Thursday raised the death toll in Syria's civil war to more than 100,000, up from nearly 93,000 just over a month ago.
Ban called on the Syrian government and opposition to halt the violence in the 2½ year civil war, saying it is "imperative to have a peace conference in Geneva as soon as possible."
The secretary-general spoke before talks with U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry, who stood nearby.
"There is no military solution to Syria," Kerry then told reporters. "There is only a political solution, and that will require leadership in order to bring people to the table."
The United States and Russia are trying to convene an international conference in Geneva, along with the United Nations, to try to agree on a transitional government based on a plan adopted in that city a year ago.
Kerry said he talked to Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov on Wednesday and that both countries remained committed to bringing the warring parties together to further peace efforts.
"We will try our hardest to make that happen as soon as is possible," Kerry said.
- Syria peace talks to take place Jan. 22
- Syria conflict: Assad's government, rebels to meet for 'Geneva 2' talks in January
- Syria, opposition both confirm presence at talks
- Syria talks aim to build on momentum of Iran deal
- UN: Syrian parties must take steps for peace talks
- Russia: Syrian opposition refuses Moscow talks
- Russian FM: Syrian opposition warms up to talks
- Canada 'at odds' with allies on Syria: memo
- Syrian opposition group approves partial cabinet
- Desperate Syrian rebels turn homes into weapons factories
DTES charities helping those left out in the cold
Date 4 hrs ago, Duration 2:10, Views 153
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 13-12-08 2:08
Tooltip Information:Ford paradeVideo by:Description: Shut out of the Toronto Santa Claus parade last month, a jolly Toronto Mayor Rob Ford was welcomed with mixed feelings as he strolled down Lake Shore Boulevard for Etobicoke’s annual parade on Saturday.Rating: 3.45Views: 7372
Date 13-12-07 1:57
Tooltip Information:J.S. Giguere flips outVideo by:Description: Colorado Avalanche goalie pushes the net after a Flames goal is scored because he believes he was interfered with by Lee Stempniak.Rating: 3Views: 11912