Syrian regime forces fired intense artillery and rocket barrages Wednesday on the eastern suburbs of the capital, Damascus, in what two pro-opposition groups claimed was a "poisonous gas" attack that is reported to have killed at least 100 people.
The claims came as a 20-member UN chemical weapons team was in Syria to investigate three sites where chemical weapons attacks had allegedly occurred in the past.
Britain has said it will raise the subject of the attacks at the UN Security Council and called on Damascus to give the inspectors access to the site.
The Syrian government have denied the reports of Wednesday's chemical weapons' attack as baseless.
"They are an attempt by to divert the UN commission on chemical weapons from carrying out its mission," the state-run SANA news agency said, quoting an unnamed government official, as is its standard practice.
The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said the shelling was intense and hit the capital's eastern suburbs of Zamalka, Arbeen and Ein Tarma.
It quoted activists as saying that regime forces fired "rockets with poisonous gas heads" in the attack that killed "tens of people."
- Syria’s civil war: key facts, important players
Rami Abdul-Rahman, the Observatory chief, said the activists in the area said "poisonous gas" was fired in rockets as well as from the air. He added that regime forces were on a wide offensive on the eastern and western rebel-held suburbs of Damascus.
It is not clear whether the victims died from shelling or toxic gas attacks, said Abdul-Rahman.
George Sabra, one of the leading opponents of Assad, said the death toll was 1,300 killed by poison gas rained down on suburbs east of Damascus, Reuters reported.
Regime denies chemical weapons use
But Abdul-Rahman said that the death toll could reach as many as 200 in the suburbs of Damascus.
The Syrian government has long denied claims by the opposition on chemical weapons use, saying rebels fighting to overthrow President Bashar al-Assad's government have used such weapons.
Following Wednesday's reports, the Observatory called upon the UN team in Syria and all international organizations "to visit the stricken areas and to guarantee that medical and relief supplies reach the people as soon as possible." It also called for an investigation into the attack.
Mohammed Saeed, an activist in the area, told The Associated Press via Skype that hundreds of dead and injured people were rushed to six makeshift hospitals in the eastern suburbs of Damascus.
"This is a massacre by chemical weapons," said Saeed. "The visit by the UN team is a joke … Bashar is using the weapons and telling the world that he does not care."
The UN team, led by Swedish expert Ake Sellstrom, is meant to probe three sites: the village of Khan al-Assal just west of the embattled northern city of Aleppo and two other locations, which are being kept secret for security reasons.
Wednesday's claim of the chemical attack, if confirmed, would be the most serious report since the March 19 claim of the attack in Khan al-Assal when at least 30 people were reported killed. Assad's regime and the rebels have blamed each other for that attack.
The unrest in Syria began in March 2011 and later escalated into a civil war. More than 100,000 people have been killed in the conflict so far, according to the United Nations.
With files from Reuters
Dutch police on Wednesday said it was unlikely they would be able to access the site of the Malaysian Airlines flight MH17 crash in east Ukraine becaus... More Dutch police on Wednesday said it was unlikely they would be able to access the site of the Malaysian Airlines flight MH17 crash in east Ukraine because of ongoing combat. Duration: 00:48
Date 9 mins ago, Duration 0:47, Views 0