Syrian rebels, al-Qaeda-linked fighters battle in Aleppo
Activists say Syrian rebels and fighters from an al-Qaeda-linked group have turned their guns on each other and are fighting for control of a key checkpoint in the northern city of Aleppo.
The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights says Saturday's clashes are focused on the strategic checkpoint in Aleppo's Bustan al-Qasr district.
The checkpoint is the only gateway between rebel-held eastern districts and the city's western areas, controlled by President Bashar Assad's troops.
Earlier this week, al-Qaeda-linked militants seized the checkpoint and closed it for several days, cutting the flow of food supplies to the city and triggering the confrontation.
Residents angry over the blockade have staged protests against the anti-Assad forces as food prices soar in Aleppo at the start of the Muslim Holy month of Ramadan.
At least 93,000 people have been killed in Syria's conflict since it erupted in March 2011, according to a recent UN estimate. Millions have been displaced.
- Syrian rebels kill Iraqi journalist, says activist group
- Activists: Government airstrikes kill 44 in Syria
- Syria rebel leader dies of shrapnel wounds
- Syrian opposition group aims to attend peace talks
- Syria rebels linked to al Qaeda apologize for beheading fellow fighter
- Key Syrian rebel leader dies of wounds
- Syrian rebel clashes flare up near Damascus
- More than 160 killed as Syrian rebels try to siege
- Desperate Syrian rebels turn homes into weapons factories
- Syria conflict: Assad's government, rebels to meet for 'Geneva 2' talks in January
Despite the American skier's 41st place finish, she's happy to be back racing.
Date 1 hr ago, Duration 1:16, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 3 hrs ago 2:22
Tooltip Information:Where did Investors Group Field's 'bubble' go?Video by:Description: Winnipeg's new stadium was initially going to get a cover over its field, but that plan was cancelled — yet taxpayers still own part of the "bubble."Rating: 4Views: 329
Date 4 hrs ago 1:28
Tooltip Information:Coldest day so far this yearVideo by:Description: As a bitter cold snap moved across the province, southern Alberta cattle ranchers say the frigid temperatures can take a toll.Rating: 4Views: 216
Date 5 hrs ago 1:50
Tooltip Information:Twins born 8 days apart at Halifax hospitalVideo by:Description: Twin boys were born eight days apart in a rare arrival at the IWK Health Centre in Halifax.Rating: 4Views: 174