Syrian rebels, al-Qaeda-linked fighters battle in Aleppo
Activists say Syrian rebels and fighters from an al-Qaeda-linked group have turned their guns on each other and are fighting for control of a key checkpoint in the northern city of Aleppo.
The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights says Saturday's clashes are focused on the strategic checkpoint in Aleppo's Bustan al-Qasr district.
The checkpoint is the only gateway between rebel-held eastern districts and the city's western areas, controlled by President Bashar Assad's troops.
Earlier this week, al-Qaeda-linked militants seized the checkpoint and closed it for several days, cutting the flow of food supplies to the city and triggering the confrontation.
Residents angry over the blockade have staged protests against the anti-Assad forces as food prices soar in Aleppo at the start of the Muslim Holy month of Ramadan.
At least 93,000 people have been killed in Syria's conflict since it erupted in March 2011, according to a recent UN estimate. Millions have been displaced.
- James Foley the subject of failed U.S. rescue mission in Syria
- RCMP look into Calgary link with possible Islamic militants
- Justin Trudeau says he wants 170 Liberal MPs in the House
- Neanderthals, humans may have coexisted for thousands of years
- Beautiful aurora photos taken from space
- Billy Crystal tabbed to give Robin Williams tribute at Emmys
- Mohamed Yaffa accuses Air Canada of discrimination because he's Muslim
- Canadian ambassador Andrew Bennett says religious freedom 'violated' in China
- Michael Brown shooting: Eric Holder meets victim's family
- Quebec NDP MP Sana Hassainia defects over Mideast position
Dave Belisle gives great post-game speech after loss.
Date 2 hrs ago, Duration 3:34, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 14 hrs ago 3:54
Tooltip Information:Reaction to American journalist's deathVideo by:Description: U.S. president expected to make a statement today, British PM concerned the ISIS spokesman on the execution video speaks with English accentRating: 4.88Views: 17242
Date 13 hrs ago 2:04
Tooltip Information:Dinosaur egg excavation could yield rare fossilized babiesVideo by:Description: Paleontologists in Alberta say if a nest belonging to duck-billed dinosaurs is found, it would the first in CanadaRating: 5Views: 4127
Date 10 hrs ago 10:41
Tooltip Information:Ferguson looting victim speaksVideo by:Description: Jan Lalani owns a market with his father, established 20 years ago. It is the family's only source of incomeRating: 3.66Views: 1862