Syrian rebels, al-Qaeda-linked fighters battle in Aleppo
Activists say Syrian rebels and fighters from an al-Qaeda-linked group have turned their guns on each other and are fighting for control of a key checkpoint in the northern city of Aleppo.
The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights says Saturday's clashes are focused on the strategic checkpoint in Aleppo's Bustan al-Qasr district.
The checkpoint is the only gateway between rebel-held eastern districts and the city's western areas, controlled by President Bashar Assad's troops.
Earlier this week, al-Qaeda-linked militants seized the checkpoint and closed it for several days, cutting the flow of food supplies to the city and triggering the confrontation.
Residents angry over the blockade have staged protests against the anti-Assad forces as food prices soar in Aleppo at the start of the Muslim Holy month of Ramadan.
At least 93,000 people have been killed in Syria's conflict since it erupted in March 2011, according to a recent UN estimate. Millions have been displaced.
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: object in water might be plane's door
- 'West is best' on job creation, economists agree
- Lake Louise avalanche victims didn't have proper gear
- Why Malaysia Airlines jet might have disappeared
- Ali Moustafa, Canadian journalist, killed in Syria
- Psychiatric community care: Belgian town sets gold standard
- Pierre Karl Péladeau to run for PQ in Saint-Jérôme
- Stephen Harper heads to South Korea to ink long-awaited free-trade pact
- Lev Tahor members back in Canada
- Avalanche near Lake Louise leaves 2 snowshoers dead
Radar signals show a Malaysia Airlines plane that disappeared south of Vietnam with 239 people on board may have turned back.
Date 1 hr ago, Duration 2:13, Views 190
Date 21 hrs ago 3:32
Tooltip Information:Stolen passports may be on planeVideo by:Description: There is mystery surrounding the identity of two passengers on the Malaysia Airlines flight, who may have been travelling on stolen passportsRating: 3.25Views: 4938
Date 14-03-08 2:14
Tooltip Information:2 Canadians on board missing planeVideo by:Description: We are learning more about two Canadians who are among the missing on the Malaysian airlines flight, Aarti Pole reportsRating: 3.83Views: 6214