Barbed wire at Kingston Penitentiary in Kingston, Ont., on Oct. 2, 2013. Frank Gunn/Canadian Press
Kingston Penitentiary officially closed on Sept. 30 and tours of the 178-year-old building began just days later.
- Read the 7 things to know about Kingston Pen
The $20 tickets for the 90-minute tours, hosted by Kingston United Way, were snapped up, including a second batch that sold out in less than an hour.
There are 9,000 people who will walk through the former maximum-security prison that, through its long history, faced riots, fires and hundreds of escape attempts.
The country’s most famous prison has also housed inmates including Paul Bernardo, Russell Williams, Clifford Olson and members of the Shafia family.
- Gas price jump 'doesn't make sense'
- Ron MacLean won't be reprimanded over Quebec refs comment
- Firefighters were unaware Peel warehouse contained explosive materials
- The Koch brothers: Who are they and why do Democrats hate them?
- Rail safety improvements announced by Lisa Raitt in wake of Lac-Mégantic
- Canada's Sports Hall of Fame to unveil inductees
- Canadian robbed in Guatemala
- Bionic eye allows Michigan man to see glimpses
- Justin Bieber apologizes for Japan war shrine visit
- Ukraine crisis: Lavrov vows response if Russians attacked in Ukraine
An emotional memorial service has taken place to remember the victims of the South Korean ferry disaster.
Date 27 mins ago, Duration 2:02, Views 0
Date 20 hrs ago 3:08
Tooltip Information:CBC reporter helps reconnect familyVideo by:Description: CBC's Neil Herland helped Perry Wilson reunite with his sister and brother after 20 years apart.Rating: 4.46Views: 5479
Date 6 hrs ago 1:56
Tooltip Information:Ron MacLean's apology on Quebec refsVideo by:Description: Hockey Night In Canada commentator tries to extricate himself from hot water after comments about the impartiality of French-Canadian referees assigned to Montreal Canadiens playoff gamesRating: 3.31Views: 7492
Date 14-04-21 2:23
Tooltip Information:Waitresses lose jobs to foreign workersVideo by:Description: 2 servers say they were let go after working for years at a restaurant in SaskatchewanRating: 3.03Views: 44942