Teacher killed by falling metal at Montreal construction site
A 32-year-old teacher was struck and killed Monday morning after a steel plate fell from a Montreal construction site.
The victim, Saad Syed, was a language teacher at GEOS Language Academy in downtown Montreal, CBC News has confirmed.
He was a few blocks from the school, at De la Montagne Street and René-Lévesque Boulevard, when he was crushed by the a three-tonne steel plate at around 8:20 a.m. ET.
Syed was walking under an excavator that was lifting the plate with a chain when it slipped and fell.
Paramedics rushed Syed to hospital in critical condition. A short time later, police confirmed his death.
Quebec's workplace health and safety board is investigating why a safety latch, which would have kept the metal in place, was not fastened.
Syed's family says he was a gentle soul and a well-respected member of the Pakistani community on Montreal's West Island.
Funeral services are set for Tuesday.
- B.C. tour bus crashes on Coquihalla Highway, 43 injured, 5 critically
- Ukraine crisis: Putin urges safe passage for surrounded government troops
- Google's delivery drones newest front in war with Amazon
- Canada's premiers pose like it's 1864 in Charlottetown
- B.C. teachers' strike: mediator Vince Ready stays involved
- California legislature passes 'yes means yes' bill
- Surrey girl, 9, lured from home and sexually assaulted
- Dramatic video of rescue released by Saskatoon police
- Rob Ford threatened teacher, had students roll in goose dung: documents
- Ukraine crisis: Obama rules out military action
Giants pitcher breaks Jays lefty Buehrle's record of 45 straight.
Date 3 hrs ago, Duration 0:51, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 4 hrs ago 4:26
Tooltip Information:Calgary brothers fight for ISISVideo by:Description: Two more Canadians are on the list of foreign fighters with the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, CBC's Adrienne Arsenault reportsRating: 4Views: 180
Date 14-08-24 3:24
Tooltip Information:Earthquake hits Napa ValleyVideo by:Description: Thousands are left without power after a magnitude 6 earthquake, the strongest to his the region since 1989Rating: 3.14Views: 126004
Date 14-08-27 0:30
Tooltip Information:Arizona gun instructor gives fatal Uzi lessonVideo by:Description: Images of the lesson stop just before 9-year-old accidentally shoots himRating: 2.33Views: 21948