Teacher killed by falling metal at Montreal construction site
A 32-year-old teacher was struck and killed Monday morning after a steel plate fell from a Montreal construction site.
The victim, Saad Syed, was a language teacher at GEOS Language Academy in downtown Montreal, CBC News has confirmed.
He was a few blocks from the school, at De la Montagne Street and René-Lévesque Boulevard, when he was crushed by the a three-tonne steel plate at around 8:20 a.m. ET.
Syed was walking under an excavator that was lifting the plate with a chain when it slipped and fell.
Paramedics rushed Syed to hospital in critical condition. A short time later, police confirmed his death.
Quebec's workplace health and safety board is investigating why a safety latch, which would have kept the metal in place, was not fastened.
Syed's family says he was a gentle soul and a well-respected member of the Pakistani community on Montreal's West Island.
Funeral services are set for Tuesday.
- Pauline Marois says Quebec would welcome Canadian tourists
- Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 search expands to distant waters
- Stephen Harper takes on Ford over South Korea trade deal
- Average student debt difficult to pay off, delays life milestones
- Rich Peverley collapses on bench during game vs. Blue Jackets
- Barack Obama, on Funny or Die, hams it up for health care
- Lac-Mégantic mayor seeks rail safety upgrades in Washington
- Oscar Pistorius 'had a big love of weapons,' friend testifies
- 10 myths about taxes that mislead Canadians
- Too old to give blood at 71, would-be Halifax donor told
The Magic Flute by Mozart returns to a Paris stage, that of the Opera Bastille. Duration: 01:46
Date 28 mins ago, Duration 1:46, Views 0
Video by: AFP
Date 2 hrs ago 0:48
Tooltip Information:RAW Rail lights flashing at FallowfieldVideo by:Description: A look at the rail crossing earlier Tuesday morning as lights were flashing but the gates remained up.Rating: 4Views: 0
Date 14-03-10 0:37
Tooltip Information:RAW: Water main break floods McPhillips underpassVideo by:Description: A morning water main break flooded the McPhillips Street underpass and forced it to close to traffic.Rating: 2.8Views: 1200161
Date 3 hrs ago 2:05
Tooltip Information:Money-saver app watches youVideo by:Description: Grocery rebate apps get money back, but some privacy experts worried about who can see consumers' shopping habitsRating: 4Views: 44095