Teacher killed by falling metal at Montreal construction site
A 32-year-old teacher was struck and killed Monday morning after a steel plate fell from a Montreal construction site.
The victim, Saad Syed, was a language teacher at GEOS Language Academy in downtown Montreal, CBC News has confirmed.
He was a few blocks from the school, at De la Montagne Street and René-Lévesque Boulevard, when he was crushed by the a three-tonne steel plate at around 8:20 a.m. ET.
Syed was walking under an excavator that was lifting the plate with a chain when it slipped and fell.
Paramedics rushed Syed to hospital in critical condition. A short time later, police confirmed his death.
Quebec's workplace health and safety board is investigating why a safety latch, which would have kept the metal in place, was not fastened.
Syed's family says he was a gentle soul and a well-respected member of the Pakistani community on Montreal's West Island.
Funeral services are set for Tuesday.
- Scotland independence referendum: Rival campaigners add excitement to polling stations
- Hospital ER times reveal some ‘disturbing’ waits
- Ailing Mayor Rob Ford releases audio statement
- Cougar killed after prowling outside Calgary hospital
- ISIS-inspired beheading plot alleged in Australia, 6 in custody
- John Cantlie, British ISIS hostage, appears in new video
- Scotland independence referendum: If Yes side wins, what happens next?
- Rob Ford diagnosis: What is liposarcoma and how is it treated?
- Global heat record set in August 2014
- Michael Brown shooting: Long legal process angers Ferguson residents
Yes majority would mean many schools would open Monday. Results expected 9:30 p.m. PT today
Date 1 hr ago, Duration 1:31, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 14-09-16 2:46
Tooltip Information:Elders watched helplessly while woman beaten to deathVideo by:Description:Rating: 3.22Views: 35128
Date 14-09-17 2:02
Tooltip Information:33-year-old's mysterious disappearanceVideo by:Description: Family members of Crystal Ratvay made a special plea for information to help them find the Abbotsford womanRating: 2.64Views: 24333