Teen prostitution trial hears closing arguments
An Ottawa court began hearing closing arguments Monday in the trial of a 16-year-old girl accused of running a prostitution ring.
Crown attorney Fara Rupert said the teenager's greed drove her to lure other teens into prostitution.
The girl was arrested in June 2012 and pleaded not guilty to 33 charges, including human trafficking and sexual assault.
Rupert said the accused was motivated by "her desire for instant and material gratification."
She said the teen used threats, coercion, violence, alcohol and drugs to lure other teens into having sex for money.
She described the teen as the "boss of an organized crime scheme" that had little regard for the physical and emotional damage she was inflicting.
Two other teen girls who were charged at the same time in connection to the alleged prostitution ring reversed their not guilty pleas late last month.
Closing arguments will continue Tuesday.
- Gaza crisis: Violence continues despite Egyptian call for ceasefire
- Iceland volcano: Bardarbunga eruption begins
- Lev Tahor, ultra-Orthodox Jewish sect, quietly moves to Guatemala
- Tina Fontaine’s family prepares for slain teen's funeral on Saturday
- Indian status: 5 things you need to know
- ISIS atrocities in Iraq: What's Canada's next move?
- Kevin Love trade: Andrew Wiggins rare No. 1 pick
- Wynne slams Harper over missing, murdered aboriginal women comments
- Russian aid convoy leaves Ukraine
- Alberta's cloud-seeding pilots see 2nd busiest year in 20 years
Man in life-threatening condition after electric shock
Date 38 mins ago, Duration 1:00, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 22 hrs ago 2:12
Tooltip Information:Hiker rescued days after fleeing bear in treeVideo by:Description: Julien Landry in stable condition in a Kelowna, B.C., hospital after concussion, injured and alone in the forest after a wild encounterRating: 3.18Views: 22518
Date 1 hr ago 1:50
Tooltip Information:Lotus restaurant fined for food poisoningVideo by:Description: Ottawa Public Health fined a Barrhaven Chinese restaurant after 44 people got sick from food.Rating: 4Views: 0