Teen prostitution trial hears closing arguments
An Ottawa court began hearing closing arguments Monday in the trial of a 16-year-old girl accused of running a prostitution ring.
Crown attorney Fara Rupert said the teenager's greed drove her to lure other teens into prostitution.
The girl was arrested in June 2012 and pleaded not guilty to 33 charges, including human trafficking and sexual assault.
Rupert said the accused was motivated by "her desire for instant and material gratification."
She said the teen used threats, coercion, violence, alcohol and drugs to lure other teens into having sex for money.
She described the teen as the "boss of an organized crime scheme" that had little regard for the physical and emotional damage she was inflicting.
Two other teen girls who were charged at the same time in connection to the alleged prostitution ring reversed their not guilty pleas late last month.
Closing arguments will continue Tuesday.
- Teen accused of helping run prostitution ring to be sentenced
- Sentencing in teen prostitution trial put off to January
- Prostitution: France wants to punish clients
- Former priest on trial for 76 sex charges in Nunavut
- Zumba instructor in prostitution bust leaves jail
- Winnipeg officer’s assault trial resumes after long delay
- Sawyer Robison to stand trial on attempted murder charges
- Calgary's Gregory Houle on trial for spouse's death
- Alberta man to go to trial in RCMP shooting
- Magnotta enters not-guilty pleas again
Hundreds paid their respects to the late Const. John Zivcic on Sunday.
Date 48 mins ago, Duration 2:46, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 13-12-08 2:08
Tooltip Information:Ford paradeVideo by:Description: Shut out of the Toronto Santa Claus parade last month, a jolly Toronto Mayor Rob Ford was welcomed with mixed feelings as he strolled down Lake Shore Boulevard for Etobicoke’s annual parade on Saturday.Rating: 3.64Views: 8573
Date 13-12-07 1:57
Tooltip Information:J.S. Giguere flips outVideo by:Description: Colorado Avalanche goalie pushes the net after a Flames goal is scored because he believes he was interfered with by Lee Stempniak.Rating: 3Views: 14731