Tornado warning issued in southern Ontario
A tornado warning is in effect for parts of southern Ontario as a storm system tracks across the province.
Environment Canada said at 5:25 p.m. ET that meteorologists were tracking a dangerous thunderstorm near London, Ont., that is likely to produce a tornado. Large hail and torrential downpours are also associated with the storm.
"Doppler radar indicates strong rotation about 20 [kilometres] north of London and it is moving eastward at 60 km/h," Environment Canada said. "This is a dangerous and potentially life-threatening situation."
Tornado warnings posted for areas between Brockville and Ottawa have subsequently been ended.
Many watches and warnings for severe thunderstorms were also posted across southern and eastern parts of the province, which has seen two days of hot, humid conditions.
People are advised take cover immediately if threatening weather approaches, Emergency Management Ontario recommends.
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 not tracked to Malacca: air force
- RCMP costs soared after Greenpeace Parliament protest
- Pauline Marois says independent Quebec would have no borders or tolls
- Canadian soldiers in Afghanistan: a video timeline
- 10 myths about taxes that mislead Canadians
- UFO sightings soar to new heights in Canada
- Climate likely fuelled Genghis Khan's conquests
- Alberta legislature too disrespectful for school visits
- Ailing Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter longs to see U.S. man freed
- Terry Trafford's body ID'd by police, according to team
Service cuts and fare hikes anger protesters at the legislature
Date 1 hr ago, Duration 1:57, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 7 hrs ago 3:11
Tooltip Information:Barack Obama spars with Zach Galifianakis over health careVideo by:Description: U.S. president gets the 'Between Two Ferns' treatmentRating: 2.66Views: 986631
Date 14-03-10 2:32
Tooltip Information:Stigma of mental illness a 'disturbing' trend in workplaceVideo by:Description: A pair of Winnipeggers are sounding the alarm over how people with mental illness are treated in the workplace. CBC's Nelly Gonzalez reports in the first part of this five-part series.Rating: 4.12Views: 319145
Date 9 hrs ago 4:05
Tooltip Information:'Fooling Malaysian authorities not a steep hill to climb'Video by:Description: CBC interview with former RCMP investigator and crime and risk consultant Chris MathersRating: 3.93Views: 304338
Date 20 hrs ago 1:02
Tooltip Information:NBA: Toronto 97 at Brooklyn 101Video by:Description: Deron Williams and Shaun Livingston each scored 18 points and an ailing Pierce hit a key late 3-pointer to lead the Brooklyn Nets to a 101-97 victory over the Atlantic Division-leading Toronto Raptors.Rating: 2.5Views: 907911