Tornado warning issued in southern Ontario
A tornado warning is in effect for parts of southern Ontario as a storm system tracks across the province.
Environment Canada said at 5:25 p.m. ET that meteorologists were tracking a dangerous thunderstorm near London, Ont., that is likely to produce a tornado. Large hail and torrential downpours are also associated with the storm.
"Doppler radar indicates strong rotation about 20 [kilometres] north of London and it is moving eastward at 60 km/h," Environment Canada said. "This is a dangerous and potentially life-threatening situation."
Tornado warnings posted for areas between Brockville and Ottawa have subsequently been ended.
Many watches and warnings for severe thunderstorms were also posted across southern and eastern parts of the province, which has seen two days of hot, humid conditions.
People are advised take cover immediately if threatening weather approaches, Emergency Management Ontario recommends.
- 'Mr. Big' stings get stricter rules from Supreme Court
- Gaza conflict: Israel calls up 16,000 more reserves
- Summer anomaly brings chilly days to residents between sweltering coasts
- Soccer goal deaths: This has happened before
- Fire in the sky: 'Apocalypse' thunderstorm rolls into Yellowknife
- John Bieniewicz, Michigan soccer ref, never saw fatal sucker punch, witness testifies
- Bacon Nation: Toronto restaurant caters to bacon-loving foodies
- Winnipeg armed standoff 'resolved,' police give no further details
- Tommy Hunter, Shania Twain, k.d. lang, Hank Snow, Renée Martel stamps released
- Girl, 15, dies after accident on Bradford soccer field
Rescue workers in western India are working to locate survivors of a landslide that has claimed at least 30 lives and buried up to 200 people.
Date 2 hrs ago, Duration 1:13, Views 101
Date 13 hrs ago 5:22
Tooltip Information:Canada's Dori Yeats wins gold in wrestling - freestyle 69kgVideo by:Description: Watch the Canadian win the gold.Rating: 4Views: 117