Toronto Mayor Rob Ford urged to take leave by council
Coun. Denzil Minnan-Wong asked Ford, 'Have you purchased illegal drugs in the past two years?' After a long pause, Ford replied, 'Yes I have.'
Toronto city council voted 37-5 Wednesday in favour of a motion calling on Mayor Rob Ford to take a leave of absence following his stunning admission that he smoked crack cocaine.
The embattled Ford is not bound by the motion and has vowed to stay on the job.
The vote followed a lengthy, and at times heated, debate that included an intense exchange between Ford and Coun. Denzil Minnan-Wong about the mayor’s views on drugs and crime
It was during this exchange that Ford issued another shocking statement, admitting he had purchased illegal drugs in the past two years.
During the debate, Ford continued to deny he is an addict and side-stepped questions about whether he will seek professional help.
- South Korea ferry: 4 crew members detained
- Queen Elizabeth turns 88: A royal diplomat in her 'best decade' yet
- No sign of missing $26K scotch a year after LCBO theft
- Teen runaway survives flight in plane's wheel well
- Calgary stabbings: Zackariah Rathwell's family breaks silence
- Queen Elizabeth releases grinning portrait for 88th birthday
- Boston Marathon under tight security 1 year after bombing
- Mounties on medical, stress leave fear new dismissal process
- Ukraine crisis: Russia, Ukraine trade blame for deadly gun attack
- Mount Everest jump cancelled after deadly avalanche
State authorities in Kyrgyzstan are trying to fight practices of bride kidnapping in the country. Two victims of bride kidnapping spoke to the BBC.
Date 52 mins ago, Duration 2:48, Views 0
Date 18 hrs ago 1:56
Tooltip Information:Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dead at 76Video by:Description: Former professional boxer and long-time advocate for the wrongly convicted died Sunday in TorontoRating: 3.69Views: 19183
Date 14-04-16 0:50
Tooltip Information:Calgary stabbings: What happenedVideo by:Description: Early Tuesday morning five people were stabbed to death at a house party hosted by university students. Here's what we know so far about what happenedRating: 3.1Views: 9974