Toronto Mayor Rob Ford urged to take leave by council
Coun. Denzil Minnan-Wong asked Ford, 'Have you purchased illegal drugs in the past two years?' After a long pause, Ford replied, 'Yes I have.'
Toronto city council voted 37-5 Wednesday in favour of a motion calling on Mayor Rob Ford to take a leave of absence following his stunning admission that he smoked crack cocaine.
The embattled Ford is not bound by the motion and has vowed to stay on the job.
The vote followed a lengthy, and at times heated, debate that included an intense exchange between Ford and Coun. Denzil Minnan-Wong about the mayor’s views on drugs and crime
It was during this exchange that Ford issued another shocking statement, admitting he had purchased illegal drugs in the past two years.
During the debate, Ford continued to deny he is an addict and side-stepped questions about whether he will seek professional help.
- B.C. teachers' strike: Tensions flare at Vancouver rally
- No arrests yet in deadly shooting near Clinton, Ont.
- Ray Rice expected to appeal NFL suspension: report
- Harper government considers soldiers on Viagra a cabinet secret
- Enterovirus D-68: Alberta testing for strain after spike in child hospital admissions
- Mike Duffy trial timing seen as problem for Harper, Conservatives
- David Haines beheading: British PM vows to 'hunt down those responsible'
- TIFF People's Choice Award goes to The Imitation Game
- Ministers jockey for surplus bucks as Commons returns
- Controversial natural gas rule changes came after B.C., oil lobby met
Auditors have poured through two years of Senate expense records, and some say the Auditor General should target MPs' spending next.
Date 1 hr ago, Duration 2:49, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 5 hrs ago 6:17
Tooltip Information:How Britain is reacting to David Haines beheadingVideo by:Description: CBC News speaks with Fawaz Gerges, professor of international relations at the London School of Economics and Political ScienceRating: 3.85Views: 1205
Date 14-09-12 2:00
Tooltip Information:Solar flares hurtle towards EarthVideo by:Description: A major storm on the surface of the sun triggers a powerful solar flare that could disrupt electronics on the EarthRating: 2.9Views: 19597
Date 14-09-08 2:11
Tooltip Information:Michael Moore explains Rob Ford to AmericansVideo by:Description: Roger & Me filmmaker, Michael Moore, took a few swipes at Toronto's troubled mayor while visiting that city's 2014 film festivalRating: 3.42Views: 84190