rapper Drake to join the team as a global ambassador.
“I want excitement for this team. I want them to be one of the biggest teams in this league," said Drake. “Everywhere I go I preach the gospel that is the city of Toronto, I love this city with all my heart.”
The all-star game is a week-long event that brings an estimated economic impact of $100 million to the host city. It will be the first NBA all-star game to be held outside the United States.
“This is remarkable for our basketball team," said general manager Masai Ujiri. "We have a responsibility to grow our basketball team so it meets the momentum of the all-star game. This is awesome for the fans and awesome for the city.”
The Raptors also announced they plan to re-brand the team with new colours and branding, though not a new name.
“Thank you for being patient with us," said Tim Leiweke, CEO of Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment, which owns the Raptors. "Good days are coming.”
- Toronto police Chief Bill Blair's contract won't be renewed
- Gaza conflict: UN outraged at Israeli strike on school
- Supreme Court registrar won't seek repayment of Marc Nadon salary
- Calgary murder home's MLS listing reveals challenges of 'stigmatized' real estate
- Rob Ford campaign video may have violated rules
- Ontario First Nations ready to die defending lands: chiefs
- Christina Noudga bail hearing underway in Tim Bosma slaying
- Air Canada plane came within 11 metres of van at Pearson, TSB says
- Ebola virus: What you need to know to protect yourself
- Quentin Tarantino, J.J. Abrams lobby to save Kodak film: report
Brianne Theisen-Eaton captured the heptathlon title in Glasgow, and fellow Canadian Jessica Zelinka claimed the silver.
Date 31 mins ago, Duration 3:27, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 14-07-29 0:30
Tooltip Information:Commonwealth weightlifting gold medallist tests positiveVideo by:Description: 16-year-old Nigerian weightlifter Chika Amalaha has tested positive for banned drugsRating: 3Views: 8104
Date 4 hrs ago 8:46
Tooltip Information:Meaghan Benfeito, Roseline Filion win synchro diving goldVideo by:Description: Canada's Meaghan Benfeito and Roseline Filion won the gold medal in the women's 10-metre synchronized platform diving event.Rating: 4Views: 342