Misbahuddin Ahmed, 30, has pleaded not guilty to charges of conspiring to knowingly facilitate a terrorist activity, participation in the activities of a terrorist group, and possession of explosives with intent to do harm. CBC
The trial of Misbahuddin Ahmed, who is accused of plotting terrorist attacks in Canada and abroad, began in Ottawa Wednesday.
Ahmed, 30, a former diagnostic imaging technician with the Ottawa Hospital, has pleaded not guilty to charges of conspiring to knowingly facilitate a terrorist activity, participation in the activities of a terrorist group, and possession of explosives with intent to do harm.
RCMP officers arrested Ahmed and two other men in August 2010.
The trial of one of his alleged co-conspirators, Khurram Sher, finished last month, with a verdict expected on June 27.
Sher, however, faced only one charge — conspiring to knowingly facilitate a terrorist activity.
Circuit boards seized at home
The 12-person jury heard evidence submitted by Crown prosecutors for the first time on Wednesday, including intercepted emails and audio recordings obtained during an RCMP investigation.
The investigation also found electronic circuit boards in the home of a third co-accused, which Crown prosecutor Jason Wakely said were intended to make bombs for attacks in Canada and abroad.
Police also seized memory sticks with videos that show terrorist bombings in other countries, along with documents related to jihad.
Ahmed's lawyer Mark Ertel said the jury would have a lot of evidence to consider as the trial unfolds.
"I expect the trial's going to be a lengthy trial. It's going to last a few months. There's a lot of intercepted communications that are going to be played, and a jury's going to have to make decisions based on them," he said.
The Crown said it would call at least 10 witnesses.
BBC News hears from a 17-year-old in Zambia who was forced into marriage against her will.
Date 1 hr ago, Duration 2:52, Views 0