Ultralight aircraft crash kills 1 in B.C.
The command post for the search and rescue crews looking for an ultralight glider that crashed in northwest Abbotsford, B.C., Monday night. Kevin Macdonald/CBC
A man is dead after the ultralight aircraft he was piloting crashed in northwest Abbotsford, B.C., on Monday afternoon.
The aircraft left Abbotsford airport just before 4:30 p.m. PT on its way to Maple Ridge, but disappeared from control tower radar.
Abbotsford police said they were alerted to a possible problem when the aircraft started emitting a beacon signal shortly afterwards from somewhere in northwest Abbotsford.
Police, two search and rescue teams and a CFBComox Cormorant helicopter began searching for the aircraft, but were hampered by darkness, heavy rain and forested, rural terrain.
Just after 9 p.m. PT, searchers found the plane wreckage and the pilot in an area south of Highway 1 near Ross Road.
The circumstances of the crash and the identity of the deceased are not yet known.
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: Crash cause coverup likely impossible
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: The Kremlin PR strategy
- Beef's environmental costs called exceptionally high
- Detroit bankruptcy: Retirees vote in favour of pension cuts
- Mike Duffy charged Senate to attend personal funerals, RCMP say
- Grizzly bear 'highway' uncovered in B.C. rainforest
- Virtuous Pedophiles group gives support therapy cannot
- Boston Marathon bombing suspect's friend convicted of impeding probe
- SkyTrain reopens after power outage
- Gaza conflict: Israeli military confirms soldier missing
Indonesia's next president faces challenges including cutting the country's controversial fuel subsidies.
Date 38 mins ago, Duration 1:03, Views 0
Date 14-07-20 2:52
Tooltip Information:21-year-old found dead at music festivalVideo by:Description: Homicide investigators say Regina resident Nick Phongsavath was found dead in his tent Friday.Rating: 3Views: 5899
Date 14-07-21 2:11
Tooltip Information:Eviction notice served to City of VancouverVideo by:Description: First Nation supporters of a homeless camp at Oppenheimer Park say the city can't evict themRating: 3.75Views: 7028