Vancouver-area businessman died in Kenya mall attack
Vancouver-area businessman Naguib Damji has been identified by family members as one of the Canadians killed in the mall attack in Kenya. Courtesy Karima Damji/Facebook
Another Canadian killed in the attack at an upmarket shopping centre in Kenya has been identified by family members as Vancouver-area businessman Naguib Damji.
Niece Gulnaaz Lalji told CBC News that her uncle was having coffee in Nairobi's Westgate mall when the attack began.
At least 68 people were killed, including Canadian diplomat Annemarie Desloges, in attack by heavily armed militants that began Saturday.
The al-Qaeda-linked group al-Shabaab has claimed responsibility for the attack, which reportedly targeted non-Muslims.
After a prolonged and ongoing stand-off with the militants, who took hostages, Kenya's security forces launched a final offensive Sunday night.
- Canada plans legislation to end pay-to-pay billing fees
- Asteroid smash-up captured by NASA telescope
- Ebola outbreak: ZMapp protects sick monkeys
- Is it time for higher speed limits on Canada's highways?
- B.C. teachers' strike: When could classes start?
- Sunwing Flight 656: Why passengers are unlikely to win damages due to unruly fliers
- Is mapping the North Pole seabed worth the time and money?
- David Cameron, British PM, plans new laws to tackle terrorism threat
- Iraq to receive $2.75M in Canadian aid as military supplies arrive
- Premiers agree to move forward with a national energy strategy
The City of Toronto is warning residents to be cautious about private companies offering door-to-door free water testing.
Date 48 mins ago, Duration 2:03, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 4 hrs ago 1:59
Tooltip Information:Topless toddler at swimming pool ends in scuffleVideo by:Description: Mother of 3-year-old girl says she was tripped by a lifeguard; complaints filed by and against mother.Rating: 3.14Views: 12856
Date 14 hrs ago 4:26
Tooltip Information:Calgary brothers fight for ISISVideo by:Description: Two more Canadians are on the list of foreign fighters with the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, CBC's Adrienne Arsenault reportsRating: 3.28Views: 8371