Vancouver gay-rights activists smooch at Russian consulate
Gay-rights activists in Vancouver protesting anti-gay laws in Russia have staged a kiss-in outside the Russian consulate downtown.
About 50 protesters gathered outside the consulate building to smooch, with women laying their lips on other women and men kissing other men — acts that would be deemed illegal in Russia.
"Something that is considered as gay propaganda in Russia, for us here is an act of love," Omar said.
New Russian laws ban gay pride rallies and make it illegal to talk publicly about homosexuality if it could influence minors.
The laws have already come under fire in Canada, with criticism coming from Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird.
Demonstrator Winifred Tovey said she was drawn to the kiss-in in the name of global gay rights.
Protest organizer Yogi Omar said that's precisely why the demonstrators did what they did.
- Should Olympians fear Russia's anti-gay laws?
"I think it's important for those of us … in this much safer society to put our solidarity into the public eye," Tovey said.
CBC News contacted the Russian consulate and the embassy in Ottawa, but calls were not returned.
- Northern Gateway pipeline project: 6 things to know
- Rob Ford apologizes again, Daniel Dale drops lawsuit
- Why A Christmas Story bully Scut Farkus wants to stop bullying
- Rebound storm wallops parts of Newfoundland
- Kingston fire shows need for crane operator rescue plan
- Listen to this morning's news in 2 minutes: #cbcAMexpress
- Vladimir Putin: NSA necessary to fight terrorism
- Edmonton youth worker tweets about at-risk teens
- Syria al-Qaeda group runs secrets prisons, Amnesty says
- Dustin Paxton dangerous offender ruling expected today
A new public art display in Moncton will be a tribute to the tidal bore.
Date 2 hrs ago, Duration 2:17, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 10 hrs ago 2:25
Tooltip Information:Ford apologizes again, Dale drops lawsuitVideo by:Description: Rob Ford has apologized to Toronto Star reporter Daniel Dale for a second time and Dale is now dropping his legal action against the mayorRating: 2Views: 710