Doug Ives/Canadian Press
It's a holiday and it isn’t across Canada today. While government employees have the day off — meaning no postal service, for example — most retail businesses are open on Easter Monday.
Here's a general rundown of what's open and closed in Canada.
For the most part, it's a normal Monday for non-government workers.
- Banks are open as usual.
- The Toronto and New York stock exchanges are back to a normal schedule.
- Liquor and beer stores are mostly back to normal across the country. In Ontario, the LCBO says "select stores" will be open Monday, and it urges consumers to check their local stores online.
- Civic transit services are operating on a normal schedule in most cities.
- Public schools in some jurisdictions, such as Halifax and Toronto, are closed today. Winnipeg schools are open. In Calgary, it's a "non-instructional" day. In Vancouver, it's a government holiday, and schools are closed.
- For residential curbside garbage collection, the City of Toronto website advises that service isn't provided on any Monday, so the public isn't affected on Easter Monday.
- Other Toronto garbage services are mixed. A complete list of services is available at http://bit.ly/1iCBZca
- In Quebec, businesses had the choice of giving their employees either Good Friday or Easter Monday off as a statutory holiday.
Afghanistan's presidential rivals sign a power-sharing deal, ending a prolonged standoff over disputed election results at a pivotal moment in the war-... More Afghanistan's presidential rivals sign a power-sharing deal, ending a prolonged standoff over disputed election results at a pivotal moment in the war-weary nation's history. Duration: 01:29
Date 33 mins ago, Duration 1:28, Views 0