Whitehorse man drowns in B.C. while trying to save children
A 42-year-old Whitehorse man has died after drowning in a lake in B.C.'s Okanagan region trying to save three boys, two of whom were his sons.
The man had been swept out into the lake near B.C.’s Kokanee Beach Resort, which is between Kelowna and Vernon.
Police say that shortly after 2 p.m. PT on Saturday, three boys, aged nine to 11, were swimming just off the shore of Wood Lake when they were suddenly carried further out into the lake by a strong current out of Vernon Creek.
The boys’ mother yelled for help, and family members, including the boys' father, got in the water to help.
The three boys, with their cousin and grandfather, were rescued by people in a nearby paddle boat.
The father of two of the boys disappeared beneath the water. Vernon Search and Rescue found the man’s body a few hours later, at about 6 p.m. local time about 15 metres from the south shore of Wood Lake.
The victim’s identity has not been released by police.
- Jennifer Lawrence among celebrity victims in leak of nude photos
- Canadians expose foreign worker 'mess' in oilsands
- New techniques help curb advanced melanoma
- B.C. teachers' strike: No school year start Tuesday
- Back-to-school: 7 million students, 440,000 educators prepare for the new year
- Ebola outreak: Liberia extends stay-home order for civil servants
- Louisiana’s new restrictive abortion law won't be enforced yet, judge rules
- Joan Rivers: Family remains hopeful for star's recovery
- ISIS threat: Germany to send rifles and tanks to aid Kurds in Iraq
- Health Canada pulling last of citronella-based bug sprays
Iraqi forces have reached the besieged town of Amerli in northern Iraq, where thousands have been trapped by jihadists, military officials say.
Date 1 hr ago, Duration 2:04, Views 0
Date 14-08-29 1:59
Tooltip Information:Topless toddler at swimming pool ends in scuffleVideo by:Description: Mother of 3-year-old girl says she was tripped by a lifeguard; complaints filed by and against mother.Rating: 3.18Views: 102452
Date 11 hrs ago 2:14
Tooltip Information:Zaccheus Jackson, 36, dies in train accidentVideo by:Description: Community mourns much-loved and admired Vancouver poet and spoken word artistRating: 5Views: 473