Worker killed in 55-storey fall from Toronto building
A construction worker has died after plunging 55 floors from a worksite onto the roof of a nearby building, Toronto EMS said.
Toronto police Capt. Mike Strapko said the man was on the 70th floor of a building at about 12:30 p.m. at 388 Yonge St. when he plunged 181 metres to the 15th-floor rooftop of an adjacent building.
Strapko said the man was found about 24 metres away from the under-construction condo building.
EMS said they were having difficulty reaching the man because the roof area he landed on was believed to be unstable. He was later pronounced dead on scene.
A Ministry of Labour spokesman said an inspector and an engineer had been sent to the construction site.
Site operator Reliance Construction said in a statement Friday evening the worker was an employee of one of its subcontractors.
With files from The Canadian Press
- Malaysia Airlines jet search widens as stolen passports probed
- George Stroumboulopoulos to host Hockey Night in Canada next season
- Months-long moving saga ends happily for Canadian couple
- Rich Peverley collapses on bench during game vs. Blue Jackets
- Colorado gets high on pot revenue, marijuana tourists
- Joe McGinniss, Fatal Vision author, dies at age 71
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: 'Mystery compounded by mystery'
- GTA home prices tell tale of 2 cities: condos vs. family homes
- Pierre Karl Péladeau wants to hang on to Quebecor holdings despite political run
- Coach John Lagimodiere says he was a 'doorknob' to yell at ref
New CBC show features spectacular video of Canadian wilderness
Date 58 mins ago, Duration 2:39, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 2 hrs ago 2:13
Tooltip Information:Safety whips focus of Sherwood Park companyVideo by:Description: Shelly Anderson of Naoka is one of 1,700 aboriginal business owners in the Edmonton areaRating: 4Views: 122625
Date 12 hrs ago 0:37
Tooltip Information:RAW: Water main break floods McPhillips underpassVideo by:Description: A morning water main break flooded the McPhillips Street underpass and forced it to close to traffic.Rating: 2Views: 1184674