2 soccer players among 27 dead in Egypt port city
CAIRO - The director of hospitals in Egypt's Mediterranean city of Port Said says two soccer players are among the 27 people killed in riots there.
Violence erupted in Port Said after a judge sentenced 21 people to death in connection with a Feb. 1 soccer melee that killed 74 fans of the Cairo-based Al-Ahly team.
Dr. Abdel-Raham Farah says Mahmoud Abdel-Halim al-Dizawi, a soccer player in Port Said's Al-Marikh club, was shot three times and died.
He says Tamer al-Fahla, a soccer player who used to play for the city's main Al-Masry team, was also shot dead on his way to Al-Marikh club.
The club is near a prison residents tried to storm Saturday to free defendants in the soccer trial. The military has been deployed to try and restore security.
- Clocks spring forward Sunday for daylight saving time
- Birth of Justin Trudeau's son poses political opportunity
- Courtney Love libel suit shows landmark 1964 case relevant in digital age
- Nahlah Ayed: Military observers in Crimea face risky situation
- 3 Mohawk protesters could be charged after Ontario rail blockade
- Ottawa man caught driving 190 km/h has Jaguar impounded
- Former PM Brian Mulroney says Putin is no Gorbachev
- Social media privacy being taught at high school
- Malaysia Airlines has good safety record
- 4 Mohawk protesters arrested in Ontario rail blockade
Family and friends came together in Labrador Saturday to remember the 26-year-old, Matt McCann reports
Date 2 hrs ago, Duration 2:15, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 2 hrs ago 3:32
Tooltip Information:Stolen passports may be on planeVideo by:Description: There is mystery surrounding the identity of two passengers on the Malaysia Airlines flight, who may have been travelling on stolen passportsRating: 4Views: 0
Date 6 hrs ago 2:14
Tooltip Information:2 Canadians on board missing planeVideo by:Description: We are learning more about two Canadians who are among the missing on the Malaysian airlines flight, Aarti Pole reportsRating: 3.5Views: 2692
Date 6 hrs ago 1:46
Tooltip Information:Search for missing plane continuesVideo by:Description: The search for a missing passenger jet with 239 people on board is still underway in the South China SeaRating: 4Views: 963