China's economic growth slows despite stimulus
China's economic growth slowed to a new three-year low in the latest quarter as exports and consumer spending weakened.
Data reported Friday showed the world's second-largest economy expanded by 7.6 per cent in the three months ending in June, down from 8.1 per cent the previous quarter.
That was the slowest growth since the first quarter of 2009 during the depths of the global financial crisis.
Export growth has fallen steadily amid anemic global demand and Chinese domestic consumer spending has weakened.
The government has cut interest rates twice since the start of June and launched a flurry of stimulus measures.
Analysts expect economic growth to rebound in the second half of the year, but the slowdown raises the threat of job losses and political tensions.
- Canada plans legislation to end pay-to-pay billing fees
- Asteroid smash-up captured by NASA telescope
- Ebola outbreak: ZMapp protects sick monkeys
- Is it time for higher speed limits on Canada's highways?
- B.C. teachers' strike: When could classes start?
- Sunwing Flight 656: Why passengers are unlikely to win damages due to unruly fliers
- Is mapping the North Pole seabed worth the time and money?
- David Cameron, British PM, plans new laws to tackle terrorism threat
- Iraq to receive $2.75M in Canadian aid as military supplies arrive
- Premiers agree to move forward with a national energy strategy
Mediator Vince Ready explains why he is leaving the B.C. teachers' strike negotiations
Date 1 hr ago, Duration 2:19, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 14-08-29 1:59
Tooltip Information:Topless toddler at swimming pool ends in scuffleVideo by:Description: Mother of 3-year-old girl says she was tripped by a lifeguard; complaints filed by and against mother.Rating: 3.2Views: 65230
Date 2 hrs ago 1:53
Tooltip Information:Teacher fired for giving zeros wins appealVideo by:Description: Appeal board rules Lynden Dorval was treated unfairly when he was suspended and fired for giving zeros to his studentsRating: 4Views: 0
Date 14-08-29 4:26
Tooltip Information:Calgary brothers fight for ISISVideo by:Description: Two more Canadians are on the list of foreign fighters with the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, CBC's Adrienne Arsenault reportsRating: 3.28Views: 25560