China's economic growth slows despite stimulus
China's economic growth slowed to a new three-year low in the latest quarter as exports and consumer spending weakened.
Data reported Friday showed the world's second-largest economy expanded by 7.6 per cent in the three months ending in June, down from 8.1 per cent the previous quarter.
That was the slowest growth since the first quarter of 2009 during the depths of the global financial crisis.
Export growth has fallen steadily amid anemic global demand and Chinese domestic consumer spending has weakened.
The government has cut interest rates twice since the start of June and launched a flurry of stimulus measures.
Analysts expect economic growth to rebound in the second half of the year, but the slowdown raises the threat of job losses and political tensions.
- Canadian fighter jets intercept Russian bombers in Arctic
- Jean Chrétien gave U.K. government advice ahead of Scotland referendum
- Why chimps kill other chimps — U.S. study uncovers main reason
- Hurricane Odile: WestJet offers final evacuation flight to Calgary
- After the Scotland referendum: What happens next
- Don Frigo shooting death: Canada-wide warrant issued for Boris Panovski
- Ukrainian peace talks lead to buffer zone deal
- White House evacuated after man jumps fence, rushes executive mansion
- B.C. teachers' strike: No extension to school year to make up for lost time
- Netflix tells CRTC consumers should vote with their dollars
CBC's Andrew Chang sits down with B.C.'s education minister to talk about why the school year won't be extended
Date 2 hrs ago, Duration 3:10, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 14-09-16 2:46
Tooltip Information:Elders watched helplessly while woman beaten to deathVideo by:Description:Rating: 3.58Views: 66267
Date 14-09-17 2:02
Tooltip Information:33-year-old's mysterious disappearanceVideo by:Description: Family members of Crystal Ratvay made a special plea for information to help them find the Abbotsford womanRating: 3Views: 38740
Date 22 hrs ago 1:16
Tooltip Information:Cat escapes from collapsing wreckage of Dauphin hotel (Video by David Katcsma)Video by:Description: David Katcsma of Dauphin, Man., captured this video of a cat running out of the Towers Hotel as the burning building collapsed to the groundRating: 4.42Views: 4792