Deadly German Love Parade stampede: 10 people indicted
Hermann J. Knippertz/DAPD/Associated Press
(Hermann J. Knippertz/DAPD/Associated Press)
German prosecutors have indicted 10 people on charges including involuntary manslaughter over a mass panic at the Love Parade techno music festival almost four years ago that resulted in 21 deaths.
Duisburg prosecutor Horst Bien said Wednesday that four employees of the event's organizers and six city workers have been indicted. They face charges of involuntary manslaughter and bodily harm, punishable with up to five years jail time.
He says proceedings against six more people were dropped because there wasn't enough evidence for charges.
The suspects, whose names weren't released, are accused of serious planning failures and failing to follow security procedures properly at the July 24, 2010, event.
The victims were aged 18 to 38 and included foreigners from Spain, Australia, Italy, Bosnia, China and the Netherlands.
- B.C. teachers' strike: parents scramble for daycare spaces
- Eugenie Bouchard succumbs to Makarova, heat at U.S. Open
- Jennifer Lawrence among celebrity victims in leak of nude photos
- Iraq PM pledges to root out ISIS militants
- Tomasz Gladkowski, 39, dies trying to rescue drowning son from Lake Huron
- Devin Scullion defies odds at 18 with aging disease progeria
- Collège de Saint-Ambroise in Jonquière bans homework for a year
- Finance Canada now sees middle-class families in rosy hue
- Gabriel Dion and Saint-Sulpice bar owner make amends
- Ukraine crisis: Separatists soften stance on independence
B.C. Teachers' Federation president's one-on-one interview with CBC's Andrew Chang the eve before school is supposed to start
Date 2 hrs ago, Duration 5:03, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 2 hrs ago 3:29
Tooltip Information:Protecting your personal informationVideo by:Description: Technology expert Graham Williams offers advice on how to protect information you store on your personal cloudRating: 4Views: 0
Date 14-08-29 1:59
Tooltip Information:Topless toddler at swimming pool ends in scuffleVideo by:Description: Mother of 3-year-old girl says she was tripped by a lifeguard; complaints filed by and against mother.Rating: 3.19Views: 105172
Date 1 hr ago 4:10
Tooltip Information:Ukraine's growing turmoilVideo by:Description: NATO says it needs to create a rapid reaction force to respond to Russian aggression against any of its members, as well as UkraineRating: 4Views: 0