Deadly German Love Parade stampede: 10 people indicted
Hermann J. Knippertz/DAPD/Associated Press
(Hermann J. Knippertz/DAPD/Associated Press)
German prosecutors have indicted 10 people on charges including involuntary manslaughter over a mass panic at the Love Parade techno music festival almost four years ago that resulted in 21 deaths.
Duisburg prosecutor Horst Bien said Wednesday that four employees of the event's organizers and six city workers have been indicted. They face charges of involuntary manslaughter and bodily harm, punishable with up to five years jail time.
He says proceedings against six more people were dropped because there wasn't enough evidence for charges.
The suspects, whose names weren't released, are accused of serious planning failures and failing to follow security procedures properly at the July 24, 2010, event.
The victims were aged 18 to 38 and included foreigners from Spain, Australia, Italy, Bosnia, China and the Netherlands.
- Scotland independence referendum polls closed
- Serena Vermeersch, 17, killed in apparent random attack
- Home Depot admits 56 million cards hit by security breach
- Justin Trudeau hits back at 'old men' over abortion stance criticism
- Ailing Rob Ford thanks supporters, endorses brother's mayoral bid
- Hospital ER times reveal some ‘disturbing’ waits
- Ebola a threat to national security, public health crisis, says WHO
- Cougar in Calgary killed after prowling outside hospital
- John Cantlie, British ISIS hostage, appears in new video
- Why was Mike Tyson allowed to enter Canada?
8 homicides over past 12 days 'unusual' for this year
Date 46 mins ago, Duration 1:45, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 14-09-16 2:46
Tooltip Information:Elders watched helplessly while woman beaten to deathVideo by:Description:Rating: 3.32Views: 40775
Date 14-09-17 2:02
Tooltip Information:33-year-old's mysterious disappearanceVideo by:Description: Family members of Crystal Ratvay made a special plea for information to help them find the Abbotsford womanRating: 2.68Views: 28936
Date 2 hrs ago 1:29
Tooltip Information:WARNING graphic content: Cougar shot, killed in Calgary RAWVideo by:Description: An Alberta wildlife officer has shot and killed a cougar that was prowling around Calgaryâs South Health Campus this morning. The video was shot by eye witness Shannon Andersen.Rating: 4Views: 20