German surgeons leave 16 objects in patient, lawyer claims
A lawyer in Germany claims surgeons left up to 16 objects in her client's body after an operation for prostate cancer.
Annette Corinth says doctors removed a needle, compresses and surgical strips from banker Helmut Brecht after his wounds failed to heal properly following surgery in 2009.
The 77-year-old ex-banker died last year and his family is seeking €80,000 ($105,264 Cdn) damages for his suffering, plus costs, from the Henriettenstift hospital in Hannover.
A spokesman for the Protestant Church-linked organization that runs the hospital rejected the claims.
Achim Balkhoff told The Associated Press Thursday the objects couldn't have been left in the patient's body during the operation because the equipment wasn't in use at the hospital.
He added that the compensation demands were "unusually high" for such a case.
- B.C. teachers' strike: Premier's tweets blaming teachers add fuel to fire
- Eugenie Bouchard succumbs to Makarova, heat at U.S. Open
- Jennifer Lawrence among celebrity victims in leak of nude photos
- Iraq PM pledges to root out ISIS militants
- Tomasz Gladkowski, 39, dies trying to rescue drowning son from Lake Huron
- Devin Scullion defies odds at 18 with aging disease progeria
- Collège de Saint-Ambroise in Jonquière bans homework for a year
- TV viewers snack more during action shows, study finds
- Finance Canada now sees middle-class families in rosy hue
- Gabriel Dion and Saint-Sulpice bar owner make amends
A Hamilton teenager who suffers from a rare genetic condition that causes rapid aging, has celebrated his 18th birthday.
Date 31 mins ago, Duration 1:54, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 14-08-29 1:59
Tooltip Information:Topless toddler at swimming pool ends in scuffleVideo by:Description: Mother of 3-year-old girl says she was tripped by a lifeguard; complaints filed by and against mother.Rating: 3.18Views: 103474
Date 1 hr ago 1:54
Tooltip Information:Devin Scullion turns 18Video by:Description: A Hamilton teenager who suffers from a rare genetic condition that causes rapid aging, has celebrated his 18th birthday.Rating: 4Views: 0