Ky. gay marriage ruling looks to precedents
Map shows states with laws allowing same-sex marriage; 2c x 4 inches; 96.3 mm x 101 mm;
LOUISVILLE, Ky. - A federal judge has ruled Kentucky must recognize same-sex marriages performed in other states, pointing not only to recent decisions that have struck down bans in other states but also to older rulings on a person's right to marry.
While the case dealt with out-of-state marriages, it doesn't require the state to perform same-sex marriages.
The judge also pointed to older rulings dealing with race and gender, noting that courts gradually did away with restrictions now considered arcane.
James Esseks is the director of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Project at the American Civil Liberties Union. He says the ruling shows judges even in conservative parts of the country are recognizing the significance of the U.S. Supreme Court ruling that ordered the federal government to recognize same-sex marriages.
- Justin Bieber faces assault, dangerous driving charges in Ontario
- Ebola outbreak: 'We need action now,' says CDC director Tom Frieden
- ISIS militants accused of ethnic cleansing in Iraq
- Jennifer Lawrence photo hack: Attention turns to FBI, Apple
- B.C. teachers' strike: How far apart are the 2 sides?
- Des Hague, CEO of Centreplate, resigns after abusing dog
- Halliburton to pay $1.1B US to settle Deepwater Horizon oil spill claims
- U.S. military wants multi-purpose sensors in Canada’s Arctic
- Uzi gun death accident exposes debate about children and guns
- Gabriel Dion and Saint-Sulpice bar owner make amends
Wabush Mayor Colin Vardy upset with 911 plans, reports Chris Ensing
Date 46 mins ago, Duration 2:24, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 3 hrs ago 2:23
Tooltip Information:Quebec school bans homework for a yearVideo by:Description: A Quebec elementary school's pilot project has placed a near-complete ban on homework, saying students at that age should spend more time with their parents and friendsRating: 4Views: 58
Date 14 hrs ago 4:37
Tooltip Information:How long will the teachers' strike last?Video by:Description: Renee Filippone looks at how far apart the BCTF and the BCPSEA are in their demands and concessionsRating: 4Views: 773