Senegal gov't adopts law to try ex-Chad dictator
DAKAR, Senegal - Senegal's national assembly has adopted a law authorizing the creation of a special tribunal within the Senegalese justice system in order to try ex-Chadian dictator Hissene Habre, who fled to Senegal to avoid prosecution in his home country 21 years ago.
The parliament on Wednesday passed the statute, which gives the Senegalese president the right to ratify an accord with the African Union in order to create the special court.
Rights groups have been pushing Senegal for decades to try Habre, and the regime of ex-President Abdoulaye Wade, who lost this year's election, was accused of purposely dragging its feet.
The Habre case has become emblematic of whether Africa is able to try its own. Lawmaker Cheikh Seck said "it's not up to the West to try Hissene Habre."
- Canada plans legislation to end pay-to-pay billing fees
- Asteroid smash-up captured by NASA telescope
- Ebola outbreak: ZMapp protects sick monkeys
- Is it time for higher speed limits on Canada's highways?
- B.C. teachers' strike: When could classes start?
- Sunwing Flight 656: Why passengers are unlikely to win damages due to unruly fliers
- Is mapping the North Pole seabed worth the time and money?
- David Cameron, British PM, plans new laws to tackle terrorism threat
- Iraq to receive $2.75M in Canadian aid as military supplies arrive
- Premiers agree to move forward with a national energy strategy
Appeal board rules Lynden Dorval was treated unfairly when he was suspended and fired for giving zeros to his students
Date 3 hrs ago, Duration 1:53, Views 0
Video by: CBC - Top Stories
Date 14-08-29 1:59
Tooltip Information:Topless toddler at swimming pool ends in scuffleVideo by:Description: Mother of 3-year-old girl says she was tripped by a lifeguard; complaints filed by and against mother.Rating: 3.23Views: 84905
Date 3 hrs ago 2:27
Tooltip Information:Gold rush on UK beachVideo by:Description: Treasure hunters are flocking to a beach in Britain to search for 30 bars of 24 karat gold buried under the sand as part of an art projectRating: 4Views: 157
Date 2 hrs ago 1:00
Tooltip Information:Rescued false killer whale's bigger pool RAWVideo by:Description: Chester gets used to a new environment at the Vancouver Aquarium's Marine Mammal Rescue CentreRating: 4Views: 7
Date 14-08-29 4:26
Tooltip Information:Calgary brothers fight for ISISVideo by:Description: Two more Canadians are on the list of foreign fighters with the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, CBC's Adrienne Arsenault reportsRating: 3.28Views: 24943